JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been looking at a website which sells large quantities of Wolf ammo at a decent price with paid shipping. Iam not looking for competitive target shooting or whatever just ammo to be used for whatever may come. Can anyone interested give me their opinions on wolf ammo quality or should I be looking for something else???:huh: thanks,

The ammo is perfectly fine in guns designed for it....vis a' vis non-NATO or Non-SAAMI spec'd rifles/handguns such as the AK/SKS/Makarov et al.

The problem with using Wolf or any steel cased ammo is multi-fold...namely most firearms today are made to SAAMI or NATO specs which are built to exacting standards using extremely sophisticated production methodology, very high tolerances, high quality parts with specified materials. Generally we Americans want "match this-and-that" parts, chambers, barrels, extractors, etc. Our tolerances are so tight and we have built the guns for firing match or at least high quality ammo using brass cases. This is how the guns are engineered and built...well most at least.

Wolf and any other non-SAAMI or NATO spec'd ammo is exactly the opposite of our standards...they have some standards, obviously, but they are considerably less exact than us, with less quality control and acceptace of sub-standard materals. They don't care about precision production methodology, consistant materials, quality control or any of that. There is a reason this product is cheap.

On top of this our SAAMI/NATO spec'd firearms are not designed to operate with steel cased ammo and thus we see lots of extractor problems (as in broken) and Wolf ammo ejects from the gun irratically. Brass is more forgiving and flexible while steel isn't.The steel cases are just hard on all working parts...any place the case comes into contact with. The propellant burns poorly causing excessive fouling. For plinking one might not start to notice problems but if one is training hard then eventually this ammo can potentially start to cause issues. The old lacquer cases are the worst but I think Wolf has moved on from those.

I can tell I do not know of any manufacturer of SAAMI or NATO spec'd guns who will warranty their guns if it has been shot with Wolf and they CAN TELL if steel ammo has been used.

FWIW I've validated what I'm sharing with you with the engineers and product support staff at DPMS, GLOCK, Bushmaster, and Les Baer. I wanted to back up my understanding with credible sources and since I have a working relationship with these folks I asked.

Anyway, I'm like Fox News: I report, you decide! :s0155:

I had no problem feeding my AK with Wolf ammo. My latest AR will be shot using nothing but decent brass-cased stuff.

I had no problem feeding my AK with Wolf ammo. My latest AR will be shot using nothing but decent brass-cased stuff.

Kinda what i am thinking... re: the AR. That being said, it probably makes sense to only get decent brass cased, RELOADABLE .223 rounds for the AR and then save the brass (even if you don't currently reload). There may come a time when you might HAVE to start reloading the stuff and it'd be better to have all the brass on hand than to just leave it sitting in the gravel at some rock pit somewhere. :s0159:

The Wolf stuff works great though for the AK/SKS platform. :s0155:

I have never had a problem in a sks or ak but I did get some .45acp and started having extraction problems it may be like "OFADA" said but my conclusion was the laqueur they put on the cases gets very sticky when it gets warm or hot and was sticking in the chamber b/c of build up not fun to clean either. I pulled my extractor out gave it a little tweak to give it some more bite problem solved but that was the first and last batch of it a I ever bought for .45 acp Now I roll my own....

Just used it in my 1911 .45 and my Colt did not like it, FTF's after a hundred rounds or so, too dirty I guess.
For the 5.56 that <broken link removed> in the brown boxes that's going around is some great ammo if you don't mind a bit more price.

I am a pretty lousy shot and get 3/4" groups at 100 yards with it out of the 16" carbine...

What do you consider decent? For inexpensive (relatively) I've heard middling comments on UMC and better on American Eagle. Each gun prefers its own diet, but I've a 223 I need to take out some time. I'll want to test out ammo I can be reasonably accurate with (for me) for both plinking and stocking up purposes.

The gun doesn't have the greatest rep for accuracy, but has a pretty good rep for being able to eat a varied diet.

I probably wouldn't hesitate to shoot anything brass-cased out of it, so long as I didn't hear anything negative about the brand. UMC and American Eagle should both be fine ;)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top