JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have an extra case of Wolf .223 FMJ 55 Gr. ammo that I picked up cheap several months ago. There is quite a lot of miss information out there about Wolf ammo from the internet commandos & I would like some feedback from guys that actually used the ammo in their gun(s). Lots of guys use this stuff at our range (Clark Rifles) and I've never seen anyone having issues w/ it.

I've been using it for over 2 years & approx 1000 rounds. I've never had a stuck case that you hear about. I've had 1 or 2 blown primer that didn't ignite the powder in the case, and thats it. That said, a freind with a Bushmaster has problems with the weak powder load. It won't cycle properly every time. I have 3 uppers with various lowers & and no issues for me. If you aren't a reloader & can get it 10-12 cents a round cheaper, why not? Just store it properly.

they used to use lacquer to seal them and the would melt and harden in the chambers causing them to get stuck

That started the bad rap

this happened to me several times where i would have to use a screw driver to pry the bolt back surprisingly more often in chrome lined barrels as opposed to chrome moly maybe because of tighter chamber on quality barrel not sure.

now they use polymer and i have never had a problem with it but i don't use it anymore only because i don't own any beater rifles anymore. but if i did have a rifle with cheap barrel that i did not care about ware and tare on it i would not hessitate to use wolf in it.

I have a large amount of the Tulammo which is basically the same as wolf as I understand it. I don't have any issues with it. I shoot it out of all my guns without a problem.

It depends on the price of the ammo, the amount you shoot and the type of shooting you do. I shoot a lot of Wolf ammo in several of my guns. If the price of ammo is less then 25% different or you shoot very little got with the "good" stuff.

People complain about extra wear or breaking extractors in AR's using Wolf. How many $5 extractors can you buy when you save 25% or more on a case of ammo.

Last year one guy was talking about not shooting steel cased ammo in his M1A cause it would wear it out faster. At the time the steel case stuff was 50% cheeper then brass. If the guy planned on shooting 10k of ammo (not enough to wear out an M1A even on a bad day) buying brass ammo would have allowed him to shoot 10k of ammo. If he had bought steel cased he would have been able to shoot about 12k of ammo AND had enough money left over to buy a new M1A.

Now I dont shoot that stuff in my target guns cause it is not that kind of ammo. Outside of that I will shoot lots for plinking cause even if it does cause extra wear I can shoot more and replace any broken parts and still save money.

The only issue is with going from a shooting session with steel cases back to brass without cleaning.
Thats where the stuck cases come from, and it's not a myth.

It's also not a huge deal if you know what it's from and remember to brush the chamber before switching.

The steel cases don't stretch enough to seal the chamber so carbon can build up all the way to the shoulder of the case, then when you switch to brass that stretches when being fired it adheres itself with that suit.

It's reasonably accurate, and dirt cheap.. Plink away!

I've gone through thousands of wolf and they themselves don't stick when you're just staying with running them.

The only issue is with going from a shooting session with steel cases back to brass without cleaning.
Thats where the stuck cases come from, and it's not a myth.

It's also not a huge deal if you know what it's from and remember to brush the chamber before switching.

The steel cases don't stretch enough to seal the chamber so carbon can build up all the way to the shoulder of the case, then when you switch to brass that stretches when being fired it adheres itself with that suit.

It's reasonably accurate, and dirt cheap.. Plink away!

I've gone through thousands of wolf and they themselves don't stick when you're just staying with running them.

This here!! Though I wouldn't necessarily call wolf accurate, it's great plinking ammo!!

My 2 cents,

if you want it to go bang, i guess its good for that. Don't expect any accuracy out of it. Some of the higher end rifles you will void the warranty if you put steel cases through them.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top