JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am empty handed, but I haven't put a lot into it yet, either.

This year I broke out the topo's and am finding some places where the gremmies and hodads never go... for Elk.

I picked 4 areas, and am scouting them over the 4 Sundays preceeding Elk season. I bought a deer tag so that I could take the rifle along while I look for Elk, 'cause you just never know.

Monday I walked one of my routes. 3 miles took 9 hours. About 1/2 of that was done at a slow walk, but not quite stop and stalk. I scared off two deer, but they were just a flash of white in the tall timber from about 40 yards away. Then I moved an Elk around a little bit. Saw three bears' dens, and millions of fresh scat from deer, Elk, and bear.

Today, my legs are tired. I am going to revise my other routes, three miles is far too ambitious a distance to thoroughly & quietly still-hunt. A mile and a half, or two, is about right... It will be easier after some rains and wind help muffle my sounds, and get rid of some of those sword fern spores. After two miles I was yellow from head to toe, and a few areas the sword ferns were taller than me!

That area in Southwest is supposed to be the best for Blacktails...just a little too far for me this time around...need to stay close this year. It takes more scouting than most realize to locate these guys, but when you find them , you are ahead of the rest.You can Google Earth the Wislon/Trask area which I have regularly seen elk in (deer sparse....very sparse) I usually see them near edges of clearcuts and when I get tired of sitting,still hunt the edges. For me it usually means a gruelling pack out(if all works out and timing is right) so good to have like minded buddies to go along ready to bone out and pack.....

I am empty handed, but I haven't put a lot into it yet, either.

This year I broke out the topo's and am finding some places where the gremmies and hodads never go... for Elk.

I picked 4 areas, and am scouting them over the 4 Sundays preceeding Elk season. I bought a deer tag so that I could take the rifle along while I look for Elk, 'cause you just never know.

We might run into each other. I'm doing exactly the same thing, lower half of the Siuslaw. I've got three over-nights planned scouting and checking this years waterproofness of the equipment. I also have a deer tag so I can take the gun.

"Good thinking" ;)

That area in Southwest is supposed to be the best for Blacktails...just a little too far for me this time around...need to stay close this year. It takes more scouting than most realize to locate these guys, but when you find them , you are ahead of the rest.You can Google Earth the Wislon/Trask area which I have regularly seen elk in (deer sparse....very sparse) I usually see them near edges of clearcuts and when I get tired of sitting,still hunt the edges. For me it usually means a gruelling pack out(if all works out and timing is right) so good to have like minded buddies to go along ready to bone out and pack.....

I love to scout with just one other and then hunt with 4. One person per quarter :)

I'll be anxious to see how this year goes. I have tried hunting deer and elk in this area two or three seasons prior, and have come home empty handed each time. Mostly I tried road hunting, although one year I scouted an area and then went and sat before dawn and was treated to a herd of a dozen cows and calves grazing as the sun came up. I have never shot or skinned or harvested an animal before, and am very motivated to gain those skills. We'll see if this years planning and preparation changes anything.

Resurrecting This thread because it's almost time all over again. Even though I am not actually ready, I'm very pumped for the upcoming rifle seasons. Hopefully this weekend I'll get a chance to put up the treestands, but if not I will for certain next weekend.

Everyone else ready?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top