Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

With just a barrel change.......

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by Capn Jack, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Capn Jack

Capn Jack Wet-Stern Washington Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I know there are numerous wildcat and commercial cartridges available for
    the AR15, but which ones require a barrel change only?

I know there is the 7.62x39,but it requires special magazines.
    The .458 SoCom requires ejection port modifications.
    What is there out there that just requires a barrel change other than the
    .300 Blackout?:rolleyes:

Joe13 likes this.
  2. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

25-45 sharps

3. B5Ben

B5Ben Boise Well-Known Member

I think the 204 Ruger is a barrel change only. The 7.62x39 also requires a different bolt.

4. Capn Jack

Thanks, I was thinking there were several based on the 5.56 case.:)

I've got a friend in Oregon who wants to change his 5.56 in to something
    he can hunt elk with. I'll give him the list and let him go from there.;)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
    Joe13 likes this.
  5. RicInOR

RicInOR Washington County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

For ELK? Just ensure your buddies choice has enough energy at the distances he'll harvest such that he can make an ethical kill.

6. oli700

oli700 Rogue Valley Well-Known Member

he might want to go ahead and buy a bolt with that barrel and do a Grendel ,a couple 5 round mags .....money isn't that much more and if he is willing to swap barrels then what's a bolt

let him rock the SOCOM, that would do it

AngryRedTicTac and titsonritz like this.
  7. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Or......buy a danged Elk rifle!:cool:

Koda, mjbskwim and Joe13 like this.
  8. Lance Jacobs

Lance Jacobs South Willamette Valley Oregon Well-Known Member

For Elk you have to have a .24 caliber rifle or larger in Oregon. The 25-45 Sharps would meet that qualification. It has commercially loaded ammo made by Federal available, which gives it an edge over all of the others that are strictly wildcats.

One would need to limit himself to shots of 200 yards or less, though, in my opinion. You would really want to have good shot placement too.

http://store.srcarms.com/Default.asp

9. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

For the same price or less you can get a very good used bolt action "hunting" rifle in .308 or 30-06, sometimes even with glass on them and a box or 2 of ammo.

THEN go take that sucker hunting and don't sweat all the little dings and scratches that come with hunting in the woods.

Seriously, I've never heard of someone needing a simi-auto for hunting deer or elk.

Sorry for the tone of the post but I was flabbergasted when I read the reason for the curiosity in comparable calibers.

Just my two cents for what it's worth.

Koda likes this.
  10. Joe13

I'm not a super experienced hunter but from what I've seen, the 25-45 is more of a deer round then elk - unless your counting on being very close and have excellent shot placement.

I am a fan of the round though and have an interest in a barrel in that caliber someday. I would not have initially posted my support for it if I knew it was for elk.

Koda likes this.
  11. Capn Jack

Thanks, I appreciate all of the input.:)
    I think he was asking because when he found he couldn't hunt with the 5.56 he felt he needed to do something with it.:confused:
    I wonder how many other people rushed out to buy AR's and ended up feeling that way?:rolleyes:
    Oh well, I gave him the information he asked for. It's up to him now.;)

coyotecaller, mjbskwim and Joe13 like this.
  12. Capn Jack

Re: .25/45 Sharps :cool:
    I've watched the videos and I'm impressed. But then I'm a "Do It Yourself Junky", who enjoys reloading and casting for my rifles almost as much as shooting them. I think I would be more interested if it were .30/45, or .35/45. .25 seems like an odd caliber to me.o_O

13. oli700

oli700 Rogue Valley Well-Known Member

its a good point however your really only need a couple things in life, the rest is choice and luxury.
    If a guy wants to hunt with a semi then who is to say anything about it because it works.......the projo doesn't care what kind of mag, action and or barrel it flies from because once airborne they are all 308 or 223 or whatever
    I have never even emptied a bolt gun mag hunting and many many days I just packed a Ruger #1......one shot .....but I certainly wouldn't scoff at anyone who wants to pack an AR10 or whatever
    many ways to skin a cat

Joe13 likes this.
  14. Joe13

Touché.

I hadn't meant to imply taking an ar15 in an adequate (Not 25-45) caliber for elk is a problem or "less" then a bolt gun.

I was just a bit taken off guard that the conversation went from what is compatable with a 5.56 barrel on an ar15 lower to - shooting elk is the goal.

I was just tossing out that a dedicated hunting rifle might be cheaper and in the long run better in a lot of ways. Easier to clean, more reliable (don't bash that part - there is a bolt a barrel and a sight of some kind), any damage taken is too a cheap and rarely used gun, less parts to fail in the field Etc.

Wasn't trying to tell anyone how to do anything. At least that wasn't the intention.

Koda and oli700 like this.
  15. PaulB47

PaulB47 Hillsboro Well-Known Member

tits, you forgot 6.5 TCU and .25 TCU. :)

For elk, seriously? Buy yourself a .308 bolt gun. Everybody should have one anyway. Or .338WM if you can handle it. Or AR-10. Even going after deer with an AR-15 is marginal; elk - no need for such tricks. Save your trick shooting for targets that aren't alive. Or use your AR-15 on prairie dogs...

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
    titsonritz, Koda and Joe13 like this.
  16. Joe13

Oi!:eek:

I only said "need", I read a lot of hunting forums and haven't come across one (doesn't mean there isn't one because I'm sure someone out there somewhere once said it) that said that they missed out on thier elk because they were not equipped with a simi-automatic modern sporting rifle.

Y'all can hunt elk with an AR if you want it's dealers choice as you said, my personal advice to people however would still be to buy a dedicated gun and dial it in, not buy a separate upper for an AR15 lower they currently own. I also stated my reasons for saying so, but you seem focused on the false pretense that I am against hunting with simi-autos.o_O Although, I obviously think Bolt guns are superior.

And when did a reason for a new gun become a bad idea:rolleyes:

17. Joe13

Apologies for the misread then:oops:

titsonritz likes this.
  18. Koda

Koda Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2016 Volunteer

19. Koda

Koda Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2016 Volunteer

i saw a list somewhere that did and thought it was wikipedia but cant find it now. I think it was a link somewhere on ar15.com forum.... not at my home computer though to try and find it again...

20. Lance Jacobs

Lance Jacobs South Willamette Valley Oregon Well-Known Member

Well, for one thing, a .35 would not even be feasible on the .223's case, which is why no one has even attempted to make such a wildcat. And there already is a .30/45. It is called the .300 Blackout.

The problem with going with a large caliber on the .223 case is that you end up shooting pretty slow bullets, which also tend to not be that flat shooting. The .223 case just does not have the capacity to get decent velocity out of the heavier calibers. .25 caliber is basically as large as you can go, if you want to maintain muzzle velocity near 3,000 fps.

Here is a photo that shows the .300 Blackout on the left. Just look at how oversized the bullet is, compared to the case. And look at how dramatically the case capacity for powder is reduced.

300_BLK_with_caption.jpg

Compare the above to the 25-45 Sharps:

25-45-Sharps-ammo-compare.jpg

Is your friend planning to hunt Elk in Western Oregon, or in Eastern Oregon? Ranges for shots in Eastern Oregon typically tend to typically be much longer, due to the much more open terrain.

300_BLK_with_caption.jpg

25-45-Sharps-ammo-compare.jpg

titsonritz likes this.