JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking for a scope for my ,CZ 557 .308.
It has a 20.5 inch barrel. I don't like big bulky high power scopes on a hunting rifle. I have about narrowed it down to Leupold VX3, 1.5x5 Duplex or VX3 2.5X8, Either can use low rings,
I like the 1.5X5 beacuse its fast and easy to use with both eyes open. But wonder if the 5 power is enough for a 350 yard shot at deer. I have used the 2.5X8 before. I think there is one on my 7mm Rem mag, Not stuck on Leupold but i live 25 miles from the factory, so i prefer them...opinions please...tj3006

If I practiced enough with the rifle and scope combo , then yes 5x would work for a 350 yard shot on a deer...for me...others will have wildly different opinions.

For many years the fixed 4 and 6 powered scopes worked for just about all types of shooting.
So 5x being in the "middle" should be fine...For what its worth the two most used settings on my Leupold 3x9 scope are the 3 and 5 power settings....
Andy

Learn something new every day; didn't know there was a scope just for witches.

depositphotos_4849200-stock-illustration-in-the-scope-series-witch.jpg

For many years x6 magnification was THE definitive magnification for all military sniping duties.

Here in yUK the 1.5-6x40 scope dominates the deer-stalking sport. The 40mm objective is a good compromise, since most modern scopes with this diameter object glass have outstanding performance in lower lighting conditions, especially those from Swarovski, Schmidt & Bender, Zeiss, Kahles and Hensoldt. Take a maximum of 44mm diameter for a woodlands rifle and you won't be sorry. Just check out that you have sufficient bolt clearance on the low ring mounts...

I like Scout scopes on most of my rifles, but can't find them in 1x-1.5x at the lower end of the magnification range - at least not with the proper eye relief (Leupold Scout scopes don't have enough eye relief to mount forward of the action or I would buy one) so I get pistol scopes, but only Weaver makes a pistol scope that starts at 1.5X:(

The scope is only a "witch" scope if it weighs the same as a duck....:D
Andy

Made me laugh so hard I soiled my armor!

I vote for the 2.5-8x36, it is the brightest scope Leupold makes and is perfect for your application. I have owned the 1.5-5 before also and the 2.5-8 is more versatile in my opinion.

For many years x6 magnification was THE definitive magnification for all military sniping duties.

Here in yUK the 1.5-6x40 scope dominates the deer-stalking sport. The 40mm objective is a good compromise, since most modern scopes with this diameter object glass have outstanding performance in lower lighting conditions, especially those from Swarovski, Schmidt & Bender, Zeiss, Kahles and Hensoldt. Take a maximum of 44mm diameter for a woodlands rifle and you won't be sorry. Just check out that you have sufficient bolt clearance on the low ring mounts...

To a certain point, the human eyebcan only use so much light. If I remember correctly, an exit pupil of greater than 4mm is mostly useless. Exit pupil = objective size/magnification. 42mm/6x = 7mm exit pupil. Thats a lot of light.

For most hunting rifles the Leupold 2 1/2x8 is about perfect. If you are into really long range shooting more power is needed. I like Leupold and I like supporting local companies.

I'm also a huge fan of Leupold. Not just fantastic optics, but also 800 local jobs! Too bad their website is a bit confusing. Google "master list all leupold optics" to view all Leupold optics on a single page.

I personally can't see for sh!t, so I need a higher power. I have 3x-9x... I use the 9x consistently at the range, but when hunting it is generally set on 4x unless I need to scope something out. Most of my kills were made with the scope at 4x since I'm not a 400yd+ hunter.

I personally can't see for sh!t, so I need a higher power. I have 3x-9x... I use the 9x consistently at the range, but when hunting it is generally set on 4x unless I need to scope something out. Most of my kills were made with the scope at 4x since I'm not a 400yd+ hunter.

Me too, to me hunting isn't about how far away i can take game. Its about how close i can get. Besides I really don't want to tramp through the woods 700 yards to get to what I have shot and drag it back.

The most successful hunter i ever knew never went more than 20 yards from his car. Uncle Bill would pull his Olds as far down a fire road as was possible, open his trunk, get his rifle and lawn chair and wait. Shortly after the other hunters would scare the deer from the woods. Every year first day. Home for lunch.

Me too, to me hunting isn't about how far away i can take game. Its about how close i can get. Besides I really don't want to tramp through the woods 700 yards to get to what I have shot and drag it back.

The most successful hunter i ever knew never went more than 20 yards from his car. Uncle Bill would pull his Olds as far down a fire road as was possible, open his trunk, get his rifle and lawn chair and wait. Shortly after the other hunters would scare the deer from the woods. Every year first day. Home for lunch.

Yep, I'm an armchair bullshooter too and I let either my buddies or other hunters drive them to me. A few days into the season when there are not as many hunters, the elk stop moving around too... then it gets to be work and I stay in camp waiting for one to come by.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top