Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Wisconsin Family finds 1960 era bomb shelter in back yard still stocked

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by Hook686, May 15, 2013.

1. Hook686

Hook686 Northern California Active Member

2. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Two weeks in a hole with your family, where's the toilet?

3. Rusoarmo

Rusoarmo Seattle Active Member

Lots of those things could probably be sold off as collectibles now. And they look to be in great condition.

I would, sell off the items as collectibles, fix the leaking issues of shelter, fortify/resupply with modern product.

orygun, knuckle Head, GOG and 4 others like this.
  4. lucifermonkey

lucifermonkey Portland, OR Well-Known Member

Depends :laugh:

5. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

Heck
    Turn it into a museum, ask for a grant and tax free status

6. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

Holy Paleolithic Paranoid Preppers time capsule, batman!

7. fredball

fredball Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

You won't get it unless your a libtard

8. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

Pretty cool find. Probably more than a few out there that are covered up and forgotten. I remember as a kid growing up in Southern California I knew a few people that had shelters but by the 70's most had been cleaned out and used for storage etc. We used to play in one in a friends' yard.

Sgt Nambu and (deleted member) like this.
  9. jbett98

For a real blast shelter, check out the movie "Blast from the Past" with Christopher Walken, Brendan Fraser.

10. knuckle Head

knuckle Head southeast Well-Known Member

I be going through it, taking pictures or videos as I go and then listing stuff on ebay or any where ever else and making as much cash as I could on it. Taking the cash and putting it into re-outfitting the place.

You never know what some dumb, dumb will pay for a forty year can of spam, If you can $20.00 or maybe even $200.00 a can out of someone then go for it. Heck a person could wind up with a couple of $$K out of the whole deal. That is a good start on re-equipping it.

Sgt Nambu, Riot, Blitzkrieg and 4 others like this.
  11. jbett98

Hard to believe, but there was general store that closed down and boarded up during the depression in a small town in Montana.
    The owner passed away and a distant relative inherited the property. When he passed, the store was sold in probate court.
    To everyone's amazement, the heat was never turned off and when it was opened up 70 years later it was like going back in a time machine.
    Most, if not all of the merchandise was in pristine condition. All of it was sold on eBay.

12. Hook686

No utility bills for 70 years. Now that is a find.

13. Blitzkrieg

There was one at the home of a friend who let me park my RV here while looking for work back in 1991. Quite common

14. jrprich

jrprich PNW Well-Known Member

I grew up in Houston Texas in the 50s & 60s. I remember lots full of prefab metal "fallout shelters" along the freeways for years. They looked pretty much like Texas size steel BBQ rigs ;^).
    You would pick your size and price and they would haul it to your lot, dig the hole, install the shelter and cover it back up. Lots of these were sold and installed during the Cuban missile crisis.

15. saxon

saxon springfield Active Member

any one notice how thin the blast doors were? how that was just the outer door :D

16. PaulZ

PaulZ Oregon City Active Member

In the late 50s there were shelter sellers all over. Kind of like Hot Tubs today! shows you how our thinking has changed.

17. PaulZ

PaulZ Oregon City Active Member

It's a different threat today. I would not want to be helpless in a hole during a collapse of government.

18. Hook686

And a not very big hole in the ground at that.

19. Hook686

I suspect you use the term, 'Blast doors' loosely. I bet the doors were not designed to withstand blast, but rather to keep neighbors from getting in. Others getting to your goods, since they did not prepare strikes me as the biggest challenge.

20. Blitzkrieg

These shelters were generally built so the entrance was 180 degrees from the likely burst area, and if possible built into a hill or mound