JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As a side security note, Costco at Tigard has $170 off of an Arlo Pro3 3 camera kit and base, $80 off Ring doorbells and $100 off Simplesafe starter set, so just $120 for that.

There are a lot of options.

I had a BlinkXT system that the newer ones come with two way audio. Phones alert to motion. There is a downside to these motion activated, they only start recording AFTER the motion has triggered them. This can be an issue with a fast moving target. You want to make sure yours will be constantly powered if you can do it, this may help the 'power saving' mode.

I was looking into upgrading my Blink system and found that I could run a computer, hardwire cameras and buy software to run the cameras for less than a new 5 camera system would cost me. I can access my cameras from my phone via the app and from any web browser I wish to. This setup requires a little networking and tech knowledge but well worth it once setup. My cameras now record 24/7 and trigger alerts that go back 15 seconds from when the alert happened and store that + 10 seconds after motion stops as the alert. I can see before and after of the alert which is very valuable. With the number of cameras running and 24/7 recording, I store about a month worth of data on a 4TB hard drive. This is all full HD 5K quality with audio.

+1 for RioLink, I use these.

If i were starting again, I'd be hardwiring. a 4k six camera setup with a terrabyte drive, alerts and remote live view can be had for under $400, with cloud backup as an option.
With my Arlo the motion alerts aren't horrible- as it's always "on" it saves about 10 secs of footage immediately preceding the activation. it's useful to get a ping on my phone and be able to see a live pic, and also review what just happened- Unfortunately, ( and this might just be an issue with the older Pro2 i have), the increments of motion detection adjustment are not very fine, consequently I get lots of footage of swaying bushes, bees...if you power it from the mains, it allows you to set motion"zones" but for some idiot reason, that's disabled when using the battery. And lots of motion drains the battery quicker, as does driving it the highest resolution.

The only thing if you cameras with SimpiSafe unit is you have pay a monthly fee for alarm and remote cell phone access. We have four cameras. The cameras are not waterproof but for like $20. The have waterproof hood for my the camera and waterproof cover for USB power connector.

The base station connects to the cellular network and I can view the cameras remotely. I like the SimpiSafe system and it was easy to install it myself.

The only limitation is the power goes out the cameras don't work. It notes the power outage with an sms message and it sends and sms message when power is restored.

But all of the sensor still work and really like water leakage sensors. But we have motion, glass breakage and entry detectors as well.

Last Edited:
The only limitation is the power goes out the cameras don't work. It notes the power outage with an sms message and it sends and sms message when power is restored.

I have a bunch of PoE cameras and two wireless ones -- For the PoE cameras, I have my router, the PoE switches, and the DVR on uninterruptible power supplies. That way when power goes out (or someone tries to be tricky and cut power to the house), everything stays on for at least a half hour (maybe more -- I've never tested it to failure).

An added benefit -- where I live we don't get cell service so our cell phones work over the internet. One day was windy and I called my wife to move the car from under a tree -- she said the power was out, then she said "wait -- why is the phone working???" It was because even though we had lost power, we hadn't lost cable and so still had wifi and internet access at home because all that stuff was running on battery backup.

I am home 99.9% of the time now that I am retired. Last time I left the property was almost two weeks ago.

I just want to know what is going on outside my house and shop. Like right now, there is a motion sensor light turned on out there - probably deer or a cat - but I can't see that far out there at night and even in the day the bushes/etc. block most of the view.

Also, between being half deaf, the house being really well insulated, and me watching TV/Youtube really loud - I do not hear when someone drives up. Today I got a delivery and I only knew about it afterwards because I got a text and email. It would nice to know when someone drives up.

... Today I got a delivery and I only knew about it afterwards because I got a text and email. It would nice to know when someone drives up.

Solar powered wireless driveway alarm. A little motion sensor/solar cell unit you stick up somewhere outside, a receiving unit you plug into an outlet in your house, and a selection of chimes and volume control to know when it's triggered. They're roughly $50.

Solar powered wireless driveway alarm. A little motion sensor/solar cell unit you stick up somewhere outside, a receiving unit you plug into an outlet in your house, and a selection of chimes and volume control to know when it's triggered. They're roughly $50.

I have one - too lazy to install it. :oops:

But that won't tell me whether it is a lion, tiger or bear out there.:eek:

I have a bunch of PoE cameras and two wireless ones -- For the PoE cameras, I have my router, the PoE switches, and the DVR on uninterruptible power supplies. That way when power goes out (or someone tries to be tricky and cut power to the house), everything stays on for at least a half hour (maybe more -- I've never tested it to failure).

An added benefit -- where I live we don't get cell service so our cell phones work over the internet. One day was windy and I called my wife to move the car from under a tree -- she said the power was out, then she said "wait -- why is the phone working???" It was because even though we had lost power, we hadn't lost cable and so still had wifi and internet access at home because all that stuff was running on battery backup.

I have the router and cable modem plugged in to a UPS already. But I have four cameras so I need to buy four other UPS for the cameras. The base station has a battery back up already.

I have the router and cable modem plugged in to a UPS already. But I have four cameras so I need to buy four other UPS for the cameras. The base station has a battery back up already.

With a PoE setup, you only need a UPS for your PoE switct -- not each camera -- because the switch powers all the cameras connected to that switch.

Hey Guys, don't know if I posted this in the right place, but here it goes.

I was wondering if anyone had any good recommendations for a wireless security camera that could be checked via a phone/laptop/etc.
Most likely positioned at the peak of my roof pointed at the driveway street area. Don't really need a package with a ton of cameras, maybe 1-3.

Not looking for really cheap and blurry, but more of a midrange if possible.

Thank you, SP

BBC article describing how Ring collects data from the Ring doorbell, and a Zerohedge article describing how police can use it to live stream your neighborhood. According to a Zerohedge comment perhaps NSA, CIA, FBI, etc can also use it. Could this help Beto with his gun confiscation plans? COVID lockdown arrests? Put on your tinfoil hats:

I'd stick with a wired system; there is a lot of data to move, and we already have enough radios in the neighborhood. Keep in mind that cameras fine during the day, can be pretty worthless at night (when criminals usually are about). Also if you want to read license plates or identify faces, that will mean positioning as close to the target area as possible, and higher quality (more expensive) cameras, designed for night reading.

You can test it by driving around at night and then looking to see what your system caught.

On the other hand, with the mask mandates, every criminal will wear one and not look unusual any more. And if they drive they will probably cover their license plate. It's better if your neighborhood has limited access, as you might be able to set up cams at the entry points, and have some videos before they cover their plates. Good luck.

Oh, any system that allows you to access via internet, will be a security issue for your home network. Be very careful what you do there. I tend to NOT enable that feature, and just capture and store data locally.

I'd stick with a wired system; there is a lot of data to move, and we already have enough radios in the neighborhood. Keep in mind that cameras fine during the day, can be pretty worthless at night (when criminals usually are about). ...

I agree about wired -- even "wireless" need a power wire or a battery that will go dead or require complicated charging.

There are also IR illuminators to provide extra lighting for the cameras at night which can help better light up an area. They can provide additional detail for areas would be dark because the built in lights are in the same line as the camera (i.e., side illumination).

The IR illuminators are worth trying. However faces tend to wash out as a face emits IR, and license plates also have their own lighting which washes that out too. So what ever you end up with, you should try testing it to see if you get useful results at night.

Wireless with battery/solar has its advantages - but if SHTF then you are emitting a WiFi signal that can be detected at a distances, despite the fact that it is a fairly weak signal. A civilian can detect it from about 100 yards with readily accessible, inexpensive and simple equipment, closer with equipment like a smartphone or computer. In a SHTF situation, this tells others that there is someone there with some sort of electrical power.

With POE, and wired cams, then if not easily visible, harder to detect. Of course you may still have other WiFi signals within your BOL, but they are not absolutely necessary for your security cams.

Then there is the infrared lights on some cams...

Pros and cons.

If you're still contemplating: My advice is: If you have access to your attic/crawlspace and can think of a way to get an ethernet cable wherever you want a camera, you should absolutely go with a PoE setup with a DVR in your house (DVR hidden in a fortified location if you can). As others have pointed out, you can get them at costco (or amazon, whatever), you generally don't have a monthly fee, you can store huge amounts of video, you get great quality, you can plug and play various cameras (e.g. telephoto on the street, wide angle for your driveway, and can even get PZT (Pan/zoom/tilt) camera and put it on a pole at the top of your house to keep an eye on that bird's nest) and can upgrade to higher pixel cameras when/if they become available. If you upgrade your DVR, or your cameras, you can probably keep using the old Cameras or DVR. You don't have to run POWER to your "wireless" camera, and don't have to change batteries. Ever. I've been going with this for years, with both a digital watchdog and a Night Owl setup and have been very happy (I was happier with the digital watchdog). Quality is great. Anyway: It all comes down to whether you can run 10bT cables to every camera and all from a central location (Your DVR). Good luck.

One of tasks I have at my work is to install CCTV from time to time.
I have installed:
CCTV with cellular modem
Wireless CCTV with local mesh network
Wired CCTV/COAX/power cable/encoder for PTZ
Wired CCTV/all data, video over CAT6, separate AC power
Wired CCTV/POE based

I install these systems in harsh environments. Surprisingly the cellular modem based systems have great up-time and rarely need follow-up maintenance or service. They run off of a 120V power supply and are usually mounted high up, over 20' usually on a pole. They consume TONS of cellular data!

Wireless CCTV with local mesh network would be similar to your run-of-the-mill Amazon wireless CCTV system. I would NEVER use this type for our home. Sometimes these systems go down if the wireless networks they are on get crowded (it's common, these use no charge parts of the radio spectrum which is just slammed). Also, for consumer-grade use, most of these systems need to connect to the internet to function. Although we've never used battery-powered cameras before, I can't even imagine needing to constantly charge/replace batteries!

CCTV with a separate power wire and a CAT6 has been by far the most robust and reliable system for us. It only needs 2 cables, power and CAT6 to the CCTV. Fairly rare to see on consumer/retail market.

CCTV with POE has been a disaster for us. PoE injects DC power onto 2 unused pairs of CAT5/6 cable. Great idea, unless you live in the Pacific Northwest. Because we get so much moisture, if there is even the slightest amount of moisture on your PoE connection, the DC voltage will corrode the very fine connections. We have revised our purchasing contracts to reject PoE systems, they are a maintenance nightmare. (even though they have "waterproof" connectors, it just doesn't matter, there's way too much water here)

So, as a consumer, I'd probably choose PoE AVR system with UPS. Since I know the PoE connections may be troublesome, I'd spend extra effort to protect those connections, usually with dielectric grease.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top