JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As the author says... evolution, not revolution. It's going to be very interesting to see where technology takes this stuff, and how the law adapts itself to reality (or doesn't).

The pessimist in me fears the law will simply be forced to draw hard lines - if there's no much "gray area," we'll just do away with gray area and adopt a system where instead of everything being legal unless there's a law against it, it'll be everything's illegal unless there's a law that legalizes it. Hopefully not!

SO he spent what 2000-2200.00 to build a $500.00 rifle?

Yea a lot of bad guys are going to be doing this cause its so much easier then stealing one.

I didnt read the whole thing. Any mention that just the fact that he bought all the parts is still traceable? Not really that much of a secret untraceable gun unless he paid cash behind the dumpster to buy his parts.

I didnt read the whole thing. Any mention that just the fact that he bought all the parts is still traceable? Not really that much of a secret untraceable gun unless he paid cash behind the dumpster to buy his parts.

He did, but he couldn't stop himself from baiting the his likeminded bretheren.

But the privacy-minded—as well as those disqualified from gun purchases by criminal records or mental illness—can make their own lower receiver and purchase all of the other parts, which are subject to nearly zero regulation. I ordered every part of my AR-15 but the lower receiver from the website of Ares Armor, a Southern California gun seller that doesn't require any personal information beyond a shipping address. If I wanted to hide my purchases from my credit card company, I could have paid in bitcoin—Ares accepts it.

Ray

The whole idea of machining your "personal build" gun seems to be going backwards technologically. I recently had stainless parts (non gun) 3D printed by Shapeways. I don't know that I'd trust them to hold pressure, but you can always print a tensile test specimen. It seems like a great way to make some of those convoluted action parts inside lever guns.

My dad just had two small parts printed, they will be casting patterns for parts off an old hit and miss engine. The cost to draw and print the two parts was $2300. Both are about the size of your hand. I am sure it will get cheaper with time but at the moment I don't think it's cost effective for most things

My dad just had two small parts printed, they will be casting patterns for parts off an old hit and miss engine. The cost to draw and print the two parts was $2300. Both are about the size of your hand. I am sure it will get cheaper with time but at the moment I don't think it's cost effective for most things

Holy cow. I'm betting most of that money was the CAD work. I drew my own small part and it was about $20. By weight, the "size of your hand" part would guess at about $300 each. My part was for a vintage motorcycle. The technique really is a godsend for vintage fixits.

you have to have the latest PDF viewer to check this out. This is the more expensive of the parts, it was $1600

Attachments

• LL_Sphere3D.PDF
    2 MB · Views: 112
you have to have the latest PDF viewer to check this out. This is the more expensive of the parts, it was $1600
Hmm, that wouldn't take more than 20 minutes to model. I'm assuming they made a plastic master and then cast it? That could add to the cost. The Shapeways method 3D prints stainless dust directly, then infuses it with a braze.

It will all be worth it when it sits farting and chuffing in a field at the steam-up.

I've also used Soligen. They 3D print sand/glue molds and cast aluminum directly into it. I wasn't paying at the time, so no idea the cost.

That $1600 does not include the casting, just making the pattern. The guy making them claims the cost of the material is most of that cost ( it would be solid) the process is "SLS" what ever that is.

I really dont know much about it, just what my dad forwarded me which is just correspondence between them.

Am I the only person wondering how he built that complete rifle in CA with no bullet button and a pistol grip? The rifle pictured is not legal to own in CA in that configuration, even if you made it yourself. Right?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top