JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Weve had 7 to 25 degree weather the last 6 weeks. If our power went out even for a short time we'd be in trouble. We have electric heat and no fireplace or wood stove. What would be a good, safe source of heat I could keep avalible just in case? I do have a camp heater that runs on white gas that I've used before but I had a huge house back than. My present place is a small 2 story, 900 ft each floor. What would work?

+2 on wood stove

Other option would be to invest in a propane tank outside and put in a gas stove. You wouldn't be able to light it with the switch but you can still light it.

A small Honda Super Quiet generator with a transfer switch to run your furnace and or other must haves.
Large propane tank to run a gas fireplace (similar to a wood stove)...my dad used that setup in Idaho when it's minus temps in the winter.
Switching to LED lights in bedrooms, etc lowers the load on the gen and you could theoretically run more circuits off the generator.

I'm thinking you need to get yourself a wood stove... If your out in the sticks with electric heat, you most definitely need a backup...

Previous home was all electric, but I put in a wood fireplace, cause that area would get snow and ice (Ga) with the power out for several days at a time... I can remember living by that fireplace on more than one occasion... I also had a generator too, needed for the weather channel, fridge and chest freezer...

Weve had 7 to 25 degree weather the last 6 weeks. If our power went out even for a short time we'd be in trouble. We have electric heat and no fireplace or wood stove. What would be a good, safe source of heat I could keep avalible just in case? I do have a camp heater that runs on white gas that I've used before but I had a huge house back than. My present place is a small 2 story, 900 ft each floor. What would work?

Get a my buddy heater. use a small 1 lb. can or use a 5 gal. tank with a extension hose.

I did a search and found that there's many indoor propane and kerosene heaters avalible in the $100 range. Wood heat is not an option here. A safe portable heater that I can store in the garage is what I'm looking for.

I personally have never seen or ran a indoor propane or kerosene heater that doesn't omit some sort of smell. Granted it has been many years and maybe they have gotten better. :confused: My suggestion would be to check with other people that own them to make sure they don't.

I personally have never seen or ran a indoor propane or kerosene heater that doesn't omit some sort of smell. Granted it has been many years and maybe they have gotten better. :confused: My suggestion would be to check with other people that own them to make sure they don't.
There are plenty of heaters out there that are safe for indoors.

My power went out at 630 this morning while I was eating breakfast.

My emergency lights came on, and after a few minutes it became apparent that this was probably going to last part of the day, so I brushed my teeth and took a shower, got dressed and left for work.

Yes the shower was hot and yes I had water pressure - I have a small pressure tank on my well and it was enough for what I needed. The power came back on 3 hours later.

I have a genset and a hookup, but in the 4 years I have been here, the power has only been out for less 10 hours. I also have a woodstove and a number of other heat generating devices. The woodstove is what I would and have used for heat. The genset would not have enough power to supply for the electric 10kw furnace.

I noticed one of my neighbors must have an automatic backup genset as his power was still on when the rest of us were dark.

+1 for a Buddy Heater. I use the Big Buddy to heat my garage (man cave) and it works great. Indoor safe, I run it off 20lb cylinders and the circulation fan does wonders. I've used it in a power outage to heat my house (1800sq/ft two story). It's definitely not ideal for that much space, but it was better than nothing. It will heat my two car garage up from 40-70+ in no time.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top