JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Now that the rainy season has started here in Western Washington, and winter is right around the corner, I'm getting ready for some new projects. I plan on restoring a couple of guns I inherited from my grandfather...a J. Stevens 410 shotgun and a J. Stevens .22LR rifle. I know some people out there will say I'm running the risk of ruining the value, but to me, the value of these guns is passing them down to my kids for them to enjoy when I'm gone.

The first is my J. Stevens Single-shot Lever Action .22LR. Research for this has been easy with the markings showing it as a Model 94, which is also known as the "Old Stevens Favorite".

The J. Stevens 410 Single-shot Shotgun is a bit more puzzling. I haven't been able to find any specific info for which model shotgun I have. But I'm not going to give up.

My winter projects include

Savage MKII FVT .22LR I need to finish the Tactical/Target stock I am putting on it. Using a Boyds Tacticool that has had the outer 3/8" milled off each side. This will be replaced with Walnut. The stock will also have a full lenght accessory rail, adjustable cheek and butt installed.

M1 Carbine, This rifle will get a new reproduction stock and handguard. Also the rifle will be accurized as much as possible.

M1903 this 1918 rifle will get a period S style reproduction stock as well as replacing the missing metal bands (the stock was cut down to sporterize it but no damage to the original metal or sights)

Frankenmauser Bench Rifle. I have a Mauser 98 Large ring action with a 1.186" D 25.5" Barrel in 30-06 mounted to it. I am in the process of designing and building a modern high tech Aluminum and Micarta Bench/F class stock for it. I'm hoping to having this in shooting condition by spring.

I'll be;

Upgrading and polishing the trigger on my PSL

Welding and re-blueing a brace of PSL mags I got in a package deal

Upgrading the sights on my S&W 4013 to a set of Millet combat sights

Bead blasting and cerakoating my Mossburg 88

Finalising the sight upgrade on my AR-7

Reassembling my J-22 with its new barrel and internal components

That's about it I think. Unless I get a windfall of some nature and end up rebarrelling my Mosin with that bull barrel I've been drooling over.

Edit; Almost forgot that I'm going to be finishing my conversion of a DPM pancake mag to fit on my PSL. 99% done on that one though.

Officially started with my first winter project...the J. Stevens .22LR restoration. I broke her down, cataloged my parts, and started on the buttstock and forearm restoration.

Buttstock and forearm-Pre cleanup

Buttstock and forearm-1st stage cleanup with Krud Killer cleaner/degreaser

Buttstock and forearm-2nd stage cleanup after a dishwasher cycle

The next step is to bring up the dents, scratches, and stains with damp wash clothes and an iron.

Finished up the stock and forearm restoration from my Steven's Favorite 1894.

Before pics

After pics

Total process:
Cleaning and degreasing
Dishwasher cycle
Steaming and another dishwasher cycle
Sanding with 60 through 320 grit sandpaper
3 coats of WATCO Teak Oil
Light sanding with 320 grit sandpaper
2 more coats of WATCO Teak Oil

I don't know if they qualify as Winter projects, but I have about four Remington rifles I want to replace the trigger on... a Jewell on my .204, Shilen triggers on my .257 Weatherby and .243, a Timney for my 788.

I have McMillan stocks coming for my .243 and an as-yet un-purchased varmint rifle. I wouldn't put it past me to buy a few more new stocks, either.

I have a few scopes I need to mount, and a few rifles that need scope upgrades. And as I swap/upgrade scopes, I'll upgrade the mounts, too.

Finished up the stock and forearm restoration from my Steven's Favorite 1894.

Before pics

After pics

Total process:
Cleaning and degreasing
Dishwasher cycle
Steaming and another dishwasher cycle
Sanding with 60 through 320 grit sandpaper
3 coats of WATCO Teak Oil
Light sanding with 320 grit sandpaper
2 more coats of WATCO Teak Oil

If you ever decide you want to put new wood on it check out Treebone Carving. I've had very good luck replacing antique stocks with their reproduction stuff. It comes 90% fitted, and you can specify the type and grade of wood.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top