JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As I was dealing with all the Global Warming in my driveway this morning, it occurred to me that I was quite bundled up.

I realize a thick down jacket is not analogous to armor plate, but it made me think about hotter loads or at least looking at some P+.

My EDC is 9mm.

Thoughts?

Guys like flowers too.jpg

Your Choice. Tests show that the, "Polymer" tipped don't clog up with clothing material.

Thank You, Capn.

I am more than well aware that much work and a lot of good ballistic info has been posted.

I am curious what other forumites have learned, as this will be my first winter strapped.

I learn a lot around here reading answers, because those members with real world experience just drop nuggets of wisdom not always obvious to lifelong civilians.

Thank You, Capn.

I am more than well aware that much work and a lot of good ballistic info has been posted.

I am curious what other forumites have learned, as this will be my first winter strapped.

I learn a lot around here reading answers, because those members with real world experience just drop nuggets of wisdom not always obvious to lifelong civilians.

Agree with Capn regarding the 9mm HP tips that fail to expand when filled up with dacron etc. Good to know there are 9mm tips that don't do that. That said, in the past I switched to carrying my full size .45ACP in the winter. But a 10mm would be a good winter choice also.

I agree with just going bigger bore and heavier frame in the winter. Probably will be where I land, but I really need a couple of good long guns for the house first, so I am planning on working with the tools I have this winter.

Made me think about gloves, too.

Winter carry 9mm would be the polymer tipped 147 gr Speer Gold Dot, they seem to perform reasonable well. At least I think it a polymer tip, might be a silicone tip.

Otherwise it would be .45 loaded with 230 gr Federal HST...

My winter rig is a revolver.. so I don't gotta dig the brass outa the snow.. loaded with lead Semi-Wadcutters.
And it's not +pp.. not everyone swings that way.

lulz

Is it illegal to fill your own HP with a polymer tip to get the performance that companies are getting when using this method? Anyone ever try this theory, if legal?

1: Pistol cartridges suck, even when they expand.

2: Because they all suck, don't worry too much about what modern wonderbullet you choose.

3: Remember to keep shooting until the threat has been neutralized. If center-mass is failing, shoot them somewhere else. Face, hips, balls.

4: Bigger frames = more bullets. Park the pocket rocket and get a double stack.

I prefer 230gr Gold Dots or HSTs in any weather, but I'm almost always carrying a 45.

When I wear flip flops and a speedo I'll carry a small euro pea shooter loaded with 115gr HSTs and just aim for the face.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top