JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Very cool, It looks like they have similar customs and reverence for the game and the act of hunting as Germany. I hunted in Montana with a German chap a couple seasons and he showed me the proper German tradition of the last bite for the animal and the rest of the bough laid on the animal. Having shown proper respect I was allowed to wear in my hat the rest of the day, a branch of this bough dipped in the deers blood to signify my successful hunt. I remember it being a very moving tradition even though the details are a bit hard to recall as it was over 30 years ago.

Last Edited:
Thanks @tac, that was enjoyable. When I make time, will watch the 2nd.
His video was interlaced with philosophical gems, my favorite being "....probably the last drop of freedom in an over-regulated world."
When he's glassing the area at 1', you cannot tell with the camera, but the angle of his high side leg conveys the slope of the hillside.
I suspect, knowing his cartridge would go through the boar, he waited until the two had separated far enough. Are two-fors illegal there?
Listening to the crunch of his boots, it has surprised me over the years on what makes a good hunting boot vs. not. I have a pair of insulated Danners - comfortable, warm, dry and whisper quiet on man made floors and pavement, but the loudest things on dirt, snow and leaves. Contrast that with a pair of work boots I bought at Goodwill - loud as Wingtips on marble floors or concrete, but make no noise on gravel, dirt, leaves or snow, unless I'm being careless.
Oh to have such presentation as his in the meal at the end! Sprigs of rosemary - nice!

Thanks @tac, that was enjoyable. When I make time, will watch the 2nd.
His video was interlaced with philosophical gems, my favorite being "....probably the last drop of freedom in an over-regulated world."
When he's glassing the area at 1', you cannot tell with the camera, but the angle of his high side leg conveys the slope of the hillside.
I suspect, knowing his cartridge would go through the boar, he waited until the two had separated far enough. Are two-fors illegal there?
Listening to the crunch of his boots, it has surprised me over the years on what makes a good hunting boot vs. not. I have a pair of insulated Danners - comfortable, warm, dry and whisper quiet on man made floors and pavement, but the loudest things on dirt, snow and leaves. Contrast that with a pair of work boots I bought at Goodwill - loud as Wingtips on marble floors or concrete, but make no noise on gravel, dirt, leaves or snow, unless I'm being careless.
Oh to have such presentation as his in the meal at the end! Sprigs of rosemary - nice!

Two-fors? Hungary has some VERY strict game-shooting laws, about the same as Germany, I guess. Your guide/mentor says one kill, that's it. No opportune kills are permitted. You'll notice also that there are no ATVs or any other form of wheeled vehicle. YOU shoot it, YOU pack it. Sledges ARE allowed, but no motorised vehicles.

Two-fors? Hungary has some VERY strict game-shooting laws, about the same as Germany, I guess. Your guide/mentor says one kill, that's it. No opportune kills are permitted. You'll notice also that there are no ATVs or any other form of wheeled vehicle. YOU shoot it, YOU pack it. Sledges ARE allowed, but no motorised vehicles.
I figured as much. Also noted how he waited for the boars to separate to take his shot, and i figured not just waiting for that good broadside presentation.

Jack Carr had a great story about Russian Brown bear hunting.

Said he was archery hunting, shot a brown bear and it ran in some deep brush. The guide handed him a rusty single action shotgun an 2 shells he pulled out of the water in the bottom of a boat and motioned for him to go in.

Something to that effect

Romania has a very similar hunting tradition. Supposedly one of the best for boars, second being Hungary. This is on my to-do list after Argentina.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top