JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Perhaps I will have the title changed, depending on the direction of the discussion.

I will link various wine tastings and related events that that I may post in the events or "get together" section.

Feel free to speak about other drinks such as Bourbon, Rum, or wherever else your palate takes you.

For us true connoisseur sophisticates, aren't we classy.

Pendleton-Whisky.jpg

"It's whats for dinner!"

I've been collecting a few different bottles of scotch. My current collection includes:

1) Aberlour 12
2) Ardbeg Ten: my favorite Islay, nice balance of peat with just a bit of sweetness
3) Clynelish 14
4) Balvenie Double-Wood 12
5) Balvenie Single Cask 15: something I like to drink when I just want to focus on the malt flavors w/o any extra wood finish (sweetness) at the end
6) Balvenie Rum Cask 17: just great stuff with an almost silky, caramel smoothness from the rum casking
7) Bruichladdich Rocks: kind of a mess - like a truck full of Islay ran into a truck full of Highland, can't decide what it wants to be
8) Bowmore 17
9) Bowmore Dawn: just outstanding Islay with a port finish, they don't make this anymore and that thought makes me cry (and horde this in the back of my liquor cabinet)
10) Glenmorangie Burgandy Wood Finish
11) Glenmorangie Sherry Wood Finish
12) Jon, Mark & Robbo's Dark Spice One: a vatted whiskey of Highland Park, Bunnahabhain, Tamdhu and Glenrothes and matured in sherry cask - sounds like it should be a mess, but oh so good
13) Scotch Malt Society 50.23: special bottling of 14yo Talisker, sweet honey and spice, 112.6 proof
14) Suntory 12: tastes kind of like a Macallan 12 to me; they own Macallan now so maybe that's why

I also have a nice collection of rum and American whiskey/bourbon.

So glad you started this thread, Charles!!!!!! For me....La Flor Dominicana, La Gloria Cubana, Ashton VSG ........ so many good choices! Good Cab, Syrah, or Zinfandel, and any quality Single Malt, Bourbon or rum!!!!!!!! One of my many jobs from my varied past was that of a wine shop manager! Charles.....it seems like you enjoy the finest in every category. I salute your fine taste!

Abelour 12 is a fantastic value! I'll throw in Oban and the Balvenies, as well, but I must admit that I am only recently delving in to Scotch. For rum fans....... Try Pyrat!!!!!

So glad you started this thread, Charles!!!!!! For me....La Flor Dominicana, La Gloria Cubana, Ashton VSG ........ so many good choices! Good Cab, Syrah, or Zinfandel, and any quality Single Malt, Bourbon or rum!!!!!!!! One of my many jobs from my varied past was that of a wine shop manager! Charles.....it seems like you enjoy the finest in every category. I salute your fine taste!

That means a lot to me, sir. I appreciate your compliment very much!
May I ask which wine shop you managed? I've been exploring the world of Italian wine, and it's pleasantly overwhelming to say the least.

That means a lot to me, sir. I appreciate your compliment very much!
May I ask which wine shop you managed? I've been exploring the world of Italian wine, and it's pleasantly overwhelming to say the least.

My days managing a wine shop were back in Florida in the late 1980's. The "Chateau Lafite" of Italian Wines is the house of Angelo Gaja (Gaya). A very charming gentleman as I recall. The wines are not cheap. The best Italian wines are from Barolo and Barberesco. They are "earthy" and strong. Most European wines are drier, woodier, and less fruity than what we have grown accustomed to from California (not to disparage the many excellent wines from California.

The Italian wine scene can certainly be overwhelming and I do not pretend to have mastered it.

Last Edited:
Went to a Crown Royal tasting last night. CR isn't my first choice - I'd rather drink a nice Bourbon or Scotch, but I do keep a bottle in my garage for when I'm fiddling around with projects out there.

In addition to the standard Crown Royal offering, they also had Special Reserve, Cask No. 16 and XR.

Special Reserve is a bit smoother than standard CR with more spice - clove & cinnamon. It's maybe $10 more than standard CR. I might pick up a bottle at some point just for something different.

Cask No. 16 was probably my favorite tasting of the night. This is finished in cognac casks and has a nice fruit finish at the end. Again, also smoother than a standard CR offering. However, price on this is quite a bit more - $105 here in Wa State. Not sure it's worth that much of a premium over standard CR or Special Reserve.

Last was the XR which is a limited-stock item from CR's Waterloo distillery (which burned down, taking much of its stock with it). Again, much smoother than standard CR with vanilla and maybe a touch of raisin. Definitely a top-quality whiskey, but at $185/bottle, priced too high (in my opinion). Given the price & rarity of this, I probably should have taken more advantage of the tastings offered.

Cigars! Tats, Padrons, LFD, Camacho, Opus. You name it, I probably smoked it. Into rum at the moment. My favorite is HC7. Hard to find in the states so my go to is Barbancourt 5 star.

This might be sacrilege to purists but does anyone here like DE Acid series? I keep some Kuba Kuba and Blondies around for people that don't like cigars, I have made some Cigar converts with them.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top