JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We lost power for 6hrs., but we have oil lamps, candles, propane fueled lanterns, a NG cooktop in the kitchen, and a standard NG water heater for hot showers.

We didn't miss a beat as we had steak, boiled red potatoes topped with sour cream and chives, mashed butternut squash with a pat of butter and a dash of black pepper, and nice cold beverages. (Gawd, I have an awesome wife!)

Since the entire neighborhood was nearly (creepy) pitch black, I propped one of the Mossberg 500's by the front door just in case the local fools decided to act on their fantasies outside, but all was calm.

It's funny because in 12 years this is only the 2nd time we've lost power, but over the last month I've been sizing up installing an auto-shunt backup genset that runs on NG. It would have been a hoot (in this particular event) to arrive home and be the only house with full power.

On another cool note, my home security system's battery backup system lasted the entire time as well, and even notified me when the AC power went out.

Nobody can tell me having emergency provisions for lighting, cooking, and self defense makes me paranoid! o_O

Our lights dimmed significantly at least 5 times, but we never lost power...which is impressive--we used to lose power every time there was a li'l puff of wind.:eek:
Several years ago the local PUD went through and did some heavy pruning around the lines, and we rarely lose power now...which is kinda a bummer, 'cuz the kids and I never minded the cozy candle scene...:cool:

Yes sir, being prepared is a good thing when you remember to do all the stuff so you can be prepared.....
I say that laughing at myself for not being prepared this time. Oh well at least we ate dinner before the power went out... We were not cold or even inconvenient during the whole ordeal. o_O

We lost power just long enough to light some candles:( I kind of liked the neighborhood being pitch black:D

As for DAMAGE I think a few people lost a few fences and the normal branches but nothing to big happened. I did see fir branches everywhere though when I left this morning....

Last Edited:
As for carnage I think a few people lost a few fences and the normal branches
I would like to clarify the word 'Carnage' refers to
1. the flesh of slain animals or men
2. great and usually bloody slaughter or injury (as in battle)
As opposed to DAMAGE which would be the proper word in this situation.

...On another cool note, my home security system's battery backup system lasted the entire time as well, and even notified me when the AC power went out...
My home security system worked flawlessly as well. It consisted of the flashlight in my pocket, and the .45 on my hip.

Power went out just before bedtime, and by "just before" I mean I had just turned off the TV, set the remote down, and was in the process of standing up to walk to the bedroom. When it went out, I pulled the flashlight out of my pocket and turned it on. About the time I reached the bedroom door, power came back on.

Our power went out at right around 5 last night, it came on as I was pulling out my stove top Italian coffee maker and alcohol stove at 7:15 this morning.

The house next to mine lost about half of its shingles on the south side they were flying everywhere. My house had no damage.

On the way to the job site I saw the remnants of the 3 trees that knocked out our power spaced evenly about every half mile.

As I was driving past all the Doug Fir branches, I thought hmmm I could make a heck of a nice Christmas Reith out of some those.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top