Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Wind storm

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Tbucket, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Tbucket

Tbucket Olympia,Wash. Active Member

How did every do? We lost power for 6 hrs and the roads are littered with branches but other than that all is well.

2. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

Down for 4 hours

3. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Lost a vent and a few shingles but ive already fixed it.

Homedepot was packed when I was in there at 11:30am

4. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

I got lucky - a few trees down in my area but none on my property - this time. Fortunately
    LaPine did not get winds near as heavy as Bend.

5. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim West of Oly Springer Slayer 2016 Volunteer

Power out for about 5 hours in East Grays Harbor with limbs scattered everywhere.....

6. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

We lost power for 6hrs., but we have oil lamps, candles, propane fueled lanterns, a NG cooktop in the kitchen, and a standard NG water heater for hot showers.

We didn't miss a beat as we had steak, boiled red potatoes topped with sour cream and chives, mashed butternut squash with a pat of butter and a dash of black pepper, and nice cold beverages. (Gawd, I have an awesome wife!)

Since the entire neighborhood was nearly (creepy) pitch black, I propped one of the Mossberg 500's by the front door just in case the local fools decided to act on their fantasies outside, but all was calm.

It's funny because in 12 years this is only the 2nd time we've lost power, but over the last month I've been sizing up installing an auto-shunt backup genset that runs on NG. It would have been a hoot (in this particular event) to arrive home and be the only house with full power.

On another cool note, my home security system's battery backup system lasted the entire time as well, and even notified me when the AC power went out.

Nobody can tell me having emergency provisions for lighting, cooking, and self defense makes me paranoid! o_O

7. Monica Cowles

Monica Cowles Grays Harbor, Washington Member, NRA (Life) USCCA, ACLDN, SAF (Life) Staff Member Silver Supporter

Our lights dimmed significantly at least 5 times, but we never lost power...which is impressive--we used to lose power every time there was a li'l puff of wind.:eek:
    Several years ago the local PUD went through and did some heavy pruning around the lines, and we rarely lose power now...which is kinda a bummer, 'cuz the kids and I never minded the cozy candle scene...:cool:

BoonDocks36 likes this.
  8. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim West of Oly Springer Slayer 2016 Volunteer

Yes sir, being prepared is a good thing when you remember to do all the stuff so you can be prepared.....
    I say that laughing at myself for not being prepared this time. Oh well at least we ate dinner before the power went out... We were not cold or even inconvenient during the whole ordeal. o_O

9. spectra

spectra The Couve Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

We lost power just long enough to light some candles:( I kind of liked the neighborhood being pitch black:D

As for DAMAGE I think a few people lost a few fences and the normal branches but nothing to big happened. I did see fir branches everywhere though when I left this morning....

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  10. RVTECH

I would like to clarify the word 'Carnage' refers to
    1. the flesh of slain animals or men
    2. great and usually bloody slaughter or injury (as in battle)
    As opposed to DAMAGE which would be the proper word in this situation.

Caveman Jim and Monica Cowles like this.
  11. spectra

spectra The Couve Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

Sorry RV my bad:p

I went and fixed it for you:D

Monica Cowles likes this.
  12. Stomper

LOL RV has shorts that ride up!! :D:p;)

13. RVTECH

And RVTECH is an excellent resource for vocabulary. Can you imagine what it is like working with me?

BoonDocks36, Stomper and Caveman Jim like this.
  14. Stomper

You would probably have us all walking around with our pinky fingers out. :D;)

BoonDocks36 and Caveman Jim like this.
  15. ak56

ak56 Carnation, Wa Active Member

My home security system worked flawlessly as well. It consisted of the flashlight in my pocket, and the .45 on my hip.

Power went out just before bedtime, and by "just before" I mean I had just turned off the TV, set the remote down, and was in the process of standing up to walk to the bedroom. When it went out, I pulled the flashlight out of my pocket and turned it on. About the time I reached the bedroom door, power came back on.

16. redmud

redmud Colombia river Active Member

Our power went out at right around 5 last night, it came on as I was pulling out my stove top Italian coffee maker and alcohol stove at 7:15 this morning.

The house next to mine lost about half of its shingles on the south side they were flying everywhere. My house had no damage.

On the way to the job site I saw the remnants of the 3 trees that knocked out our power spaced evenly about every half mile.

As I was driving past all the Doug Fir branches, I thought hmmm I could make a heck of a nice Christmas Reith out of some those.

forefathersrback and Caveman Jim like this.
  17. forefathersrback

forefathersrback Central Oregon Well-Known Member

NO, I can't imagine working with you! However, I can imagine having you sent to Nuremberg. For being a grammar Nazi.:D

18. RVTECH

Hey I have been REAL tight lipped on this forum - I can overlook spelling and other shortcomings but a completely incorrect word will warrant a correction.

19. 3MTA3

3MTA3 DMZ between Liberty and Tyranny Behind Enemy Lines Bronze Supporter

Lost a few tree branches, but frankly the wind storm that blows out of Washington DC does more damage

20. Provincial

Provincial Near Salem, OR Well-Known Member

RVTECH is anti-First Amendment!!!! :eek:

:D:D:D

BoonDocks36 and forefathersrback like this.