JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I get comments and weird looks too... I just say I'm stocking up my hunting cabin.
I have been told that Jasmine rice is the best for LT storage in mylar bags with absorbers, then put inside 5 or 6 gallon buckets. I have buckets/mylar/absorbers ready to go, just need to make a special trip to Costco to clean them out.

This means preparing for the usual comments. "Do you own a restaurant?" "Are you one of those survivalist guys?" No lady, I am just hungry and have a hankering for some rice!

Have been told to freeze rice before storing it, but I can't see bugs living in an oxygen-free mylar bag. (Might be wrong on that, who knows)

I scanned all the threads before posting this But i did want to throw this in there.. For those of you who are concerned about the quality of food that you put into you.. The food at winco and walmart, augason farms and austere provisions ARE cheaper then Mountain House, Alpine Aire or Rainy Day Foods.. HOWEVER this comes at a price.. I grabbed a few snapshots of the items ingredient lists and WOW.. these brands have a large number of things I cannot pronounce.. my point being that they have a overly large sodium content, and a lot of extra preservatives that if the food is freeze dried are not necessary..
The Major Brands, MH, AA, RD mentioned above DO NOT have the excessive quantities of preservatives. Which is the number one reason we do not carry the augason farms and austere provisions brands at our store.
The only other brand I do like for quality is the Thrive Line from shelf reliance. We do not carry them because they are a multi level marketing program ONLY they do no allow small retailers to order their products to carry. Which is too bad.. Because I do like some of the things they have..
If you do not normally read your ingredient list.. this message is probably not for you.. However I wanted to share the information anyway.. Just incase this message is for you..

-Joshua

I looked at Auguson Farms' items and didn't see too much that gave me pause (in terms of ingredients), but you are right about sodium content - astronomical!

Hearty Vegetable Beef Stew: 1180mg
Southwest Chili: 950mg
Creamy Potato Soup: 1010mg

Etc, etc. - you're looking at 40-48%+ of your daily sodium intake in one serving. You won't have to worry about survival because your body will be salt-cured.

I still think their basic items (beans, milk, rice, etc.) represent a good value and seem to be w/o too much additives.

Joshua, I thank you for the above information, however, I look at my assorted A. Farms storage foods, and I see only single product cans:

Whole Powdered Eggs
Tomato Powder
BlueBerries
Strawberries
Wheat, in 5 gallon bucket
Rice, in 5 gallon bucket
Oatmeal, in 5 gallon bucket

... etc. I buy with the concept "buy what you eat, Eat what You buy", I don't use the Freeze Dried prepared foods, with one exception, for convenience, and taste, their (A. Foods) 7 grain pancake Mix...

I learned to cook decades ago, and that 'includes' with powdered eggs! I want my food, to taste how I want it, not some large companies idea of chili, my chili!

One item I use a lot, is my pressure cooker, to reduce cooking times of beans, etc. I have even learned to time rice, usually a Non-Pressure cooked food! I have a small Pressure Cooker, meant for long term camping.... smaller than most made for kitchens.

I would like to see your shop though, the next time I go up to PTown!

philip

About Auguson Farms' products.

One product anyway :rolleyes:

I only have the Springfield Wal-Mart for a buying source, and its a fair distance from Boondocks to their store... so my last trip was a no score on what I was low on: Whole egg Powder, so I bought my other items in larger quantity.

But Friday, I got there, and they had whole eggs, I bought both cans, and they also had the "scrambled egg mix".

The ingredient label was simple, just additional powdered milk & dehydrated oil, but it did not say what kind of oil... :( Well, the good news came this morning, I opened up the scrambled egg mix, and even though I am prone to "adding stuff" this was a pure taste test: a little Olive Oil, and folded up a nice plate of scrambled eggs... sourdough toast & Hill Billy coffee rounded out the meal.

Folks those eggs were so tasty, I would not have known they were powdered, except I cooked them!

Five STARS for flavor, ease of prep and I bought three #10's of them.

Five cans of eggs was my whole foods purchase plus a box of Bisquick type mix.

just under $97 dollars for the food purchase, Bisquick Mix was $3.18, it is one item I allow in "mixes" though I can do chef level cooking and Biscuits from scratch that will stand 1 1/4'' tall! but simple fare for right now, it is just me, and I won't fire the big oven for my biscuits... I have a small fry pan that is used to make a whopper biscuit, from mix!

Enough from me for now....

Boondocking on Hwy 36 :s0155:

I look at sodium a different way than most. I was at the bar the other day with my wife and we got carded. I know what you are thinking (server looking for better tips) he said no that both my wife and I barely looked 26 witch is there carding age cutoff. I am 39 and she is 33. sodium is a preservative, and that combined with copious amount of alcohol when I was younger has kept me well preserved! :cool:

Please recall the soy products are great for women, but not so good for men! they have either an anti-Testosterone or Pro-Estrogen chemical within their make-up! I have read the long term use of soy products lowers testosterone... so research for yourself, before you store it to feed young boys/males.

philip

A large number of the freeze dried products have soy in them which is a problem for my wife. Of all things, she is allergic to soy. So we really have to be choosy on what we buy and in a lot of cases she cans her own stuff to ensure what goes into it.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top