JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
sorry, don't know the answer on that.

apparently some posters have said that Wal-Mart carries these #10 cans of food? I don't know I don't shop at Wal-Mart on principle....

Burt... I run the circuit of Bi-Mart, WinCo, Costco, Albertsons, WallMart, etc... always ready to buy cases of whatever "leader" item on sale at at least 40% off. Winco consistantly has the best daily price on items like canned milk (.62), large canned chicken breast (1.98), and often canned soups. In addition, there will be leader sale items which are worth looking at most times. Then there's the bulk section for flour, cereal, sugar, salt, spices, dry soups, etc.... load up your mylar lined buckets.
Costco has #10 cans of Del Monte green beans and corn at $3 each or less... compare that to small can prices. Ditto peaches, pears, and applesauce very similar prices under $5. They also have Cattle Drive Chili for $6.98 #10, and sausage gravy around $7. One can easily recoup the $50 annual membership in a few trips.
Bi-mart has good sales in the sporting goods section often, and I have picked up a LOT of outdoor gear on a hugely discounted price at times... worth checking often. In addition, our local stores have the best prices notionwide on ammo when on sale.... considering no shipping charges too. I also buy Canned coffee regulary at BiMart at $5.99, and a TON of pacific Crest Albacore on sale cheap... ditto canned hams and such.
Again, if one makes the circuit weekly and ONLY buys leader items at a huge discount, the savings are incredible and the stock piles up fast.
Take care partner...
Never shopped at Winco before - do you have to be a 'member' or some stupid crap.

FYI: Rice is the cheapest per calorie method to store food. It's a good idea to store a few other beans and grains as well for variety and protein but there is no reason why the bulk of your food storage couldn't be rice. you'll get real sick of rice real quick....but you'll survive.

So are you talking about white rice or brown rice. I don't have a lot of experience with it, but from what I have read, brown rice goes rancid pretty quick, and white rice is an 'anti-nutrient'. What I mean by that is a diet of white rice will make you unhealthy, as it has had the hull and germ removed making it an unbalanced food.

Interested in your thoughts on this.

Fro what I understand, it wont make you unhealthy, however it losses a lot of its nutrients when the hull is removed. Lots of people died in asia when the white rice became the thing to have as Rice made up most of the diet.. as such it then removed most of the nutrition..
I keep a lot of both on hand, just take extra care in vac-bagging the brown and wild rice.

I store white rice, not brown rice due to long term goals.

I am aware that it is less nutritious than brown rice....but white rice can store for 20+ years and brown rice for only 6 months....whattaya gonna do? It's better than not storing anything, I guess especially if you are on a budget. It will keep you alive. add in some beans and multivitamins and you'll make it through. You'll still be better off than 98% of people....

Quinoa is a superior grain. It is the only grain that is a complete protein...although a couple amino acids are quite low compared to bodily needs....still it does contain all 9 essential amino acids unlike any other grain. I wouldn't necessarily agree that it stores better, but it stores just fine and is far more nutritious. I actually do store some quinoa....but due to cost I store mostly rice, beans, wheat, oats, sugar, salt and corn. I am starting to store some other things; too- but they are not very cost effective.

I buy quinoa, barley, and steel cut oatmeal at Winco through special orders. I mylar bagged and sealed a 5 gallon bucket or two of each and have buckets in the corner of my kitchen with Gamma seal lids for my daily needs. If someone were to look at the price of the steel cut oats in the cereal aisle vs. the bulk section, they would never buy those little overpriced cans again. I don't eat much rice, just a tbsp to 1 cup of barley in the rice cooker. For some reason the rice cooker boils over without it. Costco looks to have the better deal on that. There are differences in what some Wincos have as far as storage accessories like buckets, bags, o2 absorbers, and lids. The Hazel Dell one doesn't stock them, but the 122nd/Halsey store does. Got to love the 2 gal buckets/gamma seals.

yes- I too love the 2 gal buckets and gamma seals! they are pricey but ideal for daily use items.

I agree that Costco has the best deal on rice and beans.

Winco is still best on wheat and sugar.

My Winco is running out of the #10 cans of freeze dried food :-(

Since I don't have a Coscto membership, I still buy most of my bulk food storage items at Winco since the price difference is negligible and doesn't offset the annual fee, IMO. But I do go to Costco with a friend about twice a year...so I hold off on certain items until then.

Please recall the soy products are great for women, but not so good for men! they have either an anti-Testosterone or Pro-Estrogen chemical within their make-up! I have read the long term use of soy products lowers testosterone... so research for yourself, before you store it to feed young boys/males.

philip

Just checked the Winco in Hillsboro on Cornell and Cornelius Pass. Never had any #10 cans of prepper food. But they do have bags of quick oats, regular oats, cereals, some from Bob's Red Mill and so on. Good bulk food section as well.

Walmart out in Cornelius has Auguson Farms #10 cans and some pails of items. Very competitively priced as well.

Sodbuster

I store white rice, not brown rice due to long term goals.

I am aware that it is less nutritious than brown rice....but white rice can store for 20+ years and brown rice for only 6 months....whattaya gonna do? It's better than not storing anything, I guess especially if you are on a budget. It will keep you alive. add in some beans and multivitamins and you'll make it through. You'll still be better off than 98% of people....

Quinoa is a superior grain. It is the only grain that is a complete protein...although a couple amino acids are quite low compared to bodily needs....still it does contain all 9 essential amino acids unlike any other grain. I wouldn't necessarily agree that it stores better, but it stores just fine and is far more nutritious. I actually do store some quinoa....but due to cost I store mostly rice, beans, wheat, oats, sugar, salt and corn. I am starting to store some other things; too- but they are not very cost effective.

I have been told that Jasmine rice is the best for LT storage in mylar bags with absorbers, then put inside 5 or 6 gallon buckets. I have buckets/mylar/absorbers ready to go, just need to make a special trip to Costco to clean them out.

This means preparing for the usual comments. "Do you own a restaurant?" "Are you one of those survivalist guys?" No lady, I am just hungry and have a hankering for some rice!

Have been told to freeze rice before storing it, but I can't see bugs living in an oxygen-free mylar bag. (Might be wrong on that, who knows)

I have been told that Jasmine rice is the best for LT storage in mylar bags with absorbers, then put inside 5 or 6 gallon buckets. I have buckets/mylar/absorbers ready to go, just need to make a special trip to Costco to clean them out.

This means preparing for the usual comments. "Do you own a restaurant?" "Are you one of those survivalist guys?" No lady, I am just hungry and have a hankering for some rice!

Have been told to freeze rice before storing it, but I can't see bugs living in an oxygen-free mylar bag. (Might be wrong on that, who knows)

I'm going to Costco again tomorrow. I instinctively grab the flatbed cart and stack it up until I cannot push it any farther... Then I I know it is time to leave. That is usually around $350. When people ask what it's for I say "Preparing for the Zombie Apocolypse, do you want to join my cult?". Then I laugh it off...I actually do say that...it diffuses the question better than any other response I've come up with. The truth is "Hiding in plain sight"

I don't bother freezing or using dry ice on my foods. If a few bugs get in and can live in an O2 free environment for a little while.....then a few dead bug corpses won't harm me. Extra protein at no extra cost!!! I do use the mylar and O2 absorbers though....

For long term storage in 2 or 5 gal food grade buckets do you have to use mylar.
If I just put it in the bucket with O2 absorbers.
If so how long will it last.
My understanding is that it won't work. My guess is because the material those buckets are made of is not impermeable to oxygen.
Source: Longer-Term Food Supply (among others, but I figure the LDS have this stuff researched pretty well)

Hey Charger;
Mylar bags are relatively cheap... I often find 5 gallon ones at a bulk discount online, even on Ebay. I always use them, even with a food grade A+ Survival bucket and Gamma Seal. It's an extra barrier impervious to light, oxygen, moisture... stops all the stuff at the molecular level that "foodsaver" type plastic does not. I seal them to the very edge with an iron, then use my Pump-N-Seal to suck out excess oxygen before sealing all the way... with a dessicant and oxy absorber inside of course.
For long term storage in 2 or 5 gal food grade buckets do you have to use mylar.
If I just put it in the bucket with O2 absorbers.
If so how long will it last.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top