JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thats true, yoplait yogurt is cheaper at winco and some misc things. I dont work for freddies and nor am I paid by them lol but anyways I just take advantage of my reward points every 3 months they will send you a coupon worth $$$ depending on how much you spend and you can use it towards any purchase at freddies. Also its nice to take 10 cents off every gallon of gas when im filling up. I guess it depends on where you live but given that the Johnson Creek Freddies is close by, its very rewarding. I just think its a waste of time to have to go to multiple stores to do your shopping unless you were saving a load of money. I don't have kids so its difficult for me to say anything about it but most of the times, I see families that go to winco and I know they are probably saving a lot. Anyways sorry to hijack the thread, thanks for the info that winco offers reasonably priced prepper food. Finding prepper food that tastes good and is cheap is hard to find.

On basic staples Winco has usually been $10-20 cheaper each bill than Freddies or Safeway. I do prefer meat, fish and veggies from other stores though.

Stamped shelf lives are based primarily on legal risk management, quality assurance, and marketing. Not on actual food safety or nutrition.

I bought some sugar and salt the other day and both were stamped with 2 year "best by" dates. Yet, both sugar and salt are known to store indefinitely if stored properly.

Have you ever noticed that almost NO food has a printed "best by" date of more than 2 years? Why is this? Pretty much based on recommendations from their legal/risk management department and as an added perk it gets the stores to cycle through product before it expires (by discounting or wholesaling). More product is eventually sold this way. The shorter the shelf life the more it will need to be discounted or wholesaled by the grocer since reputable grocers won't carry products past their expiration dates; even if the dates are arbitrary.

Usually the first thing to happen to food is discoloration, then a loss of texture (mushiness) followed by loss of flavor or possibly off flavors, then actual nutritional value starts to break down. None of these processes are harmful; but companies don't want to be responsible for any of it....they want their peaches or oatmeal to still look and taste PERFECT during the "best by" period.

Scientists have found honey and wheat entombed in pyramids that was still safe to eat and had some nutritional value. They have found canned meats over 100 years old that were still safe to eat and had some nutritional value.

That's right Burt, and everyone needs a little clean out on occasion! Keeps the old plumbing clean! Seriously, Burt is right on. It's appalling how much good food people dispose of because it's a bit outdated!

I bought a can of the strawberries yesterday. I opened it and they were not as bright red as the mountain house ones but tasted really good. And for the price difference I think I will get a few more. For the dinners I'm still sticking with MH

None of the above items are long term, generally only 6 months to a couple of years, the strawberries could be longer.

Might want to research that a bit. Auguson Farms website states that the Vegetable Stew mix contains an oxygen absorber in the can and has a shelf life of 25 years sealed (1 year opened).

Wife just picked up a few cans at the Wal-Mart in St Helens, which were right between the batteries and the firearms section which is now stocked with AR15's. Anyone else notice a trend lately?

yes, the lines at winco are absolutely horrible! I try to only go 1-2x a month at off-peak times but for me, the savings is really worth it.
I hint I learned from a friend: try to shop winco after the first week of the month. The lines are typically shorter. Please don't take this as offensive in any way, it's just a fact that more people shop at winco right after food stamps come on the first of the month.

Also, if your schedule is flexible, the lines are pretty short at midnight (ah, college days had their advantages). Winco is open 24 hours a day.

Wow, we went in to the Winco on N.E.122nd on Saturday at 10:30am buzzed right on through and had one cart, modestly full ahead of us at check out! No line had more than 3 carts. I know that this isn't the norm, sweet!!! Don't like bagging but oh well.

Oh yeah, the emergency food section is on the first row just to the left of the entry door.

Last Edited:
Picked up some vegetable stew and powdered egg today at Gresham winco. The stew was surprisingly hearty and tasty. I'll be picking up quite abit more. Thanks for the heads up. No lines at 10am.

Went to winco for the first time last night just to check it out.
Walked out with cart full of stuff for under 120.00$.
Most of the prices were great but you do need to shop carefully.
The have 25 lbs bags of rice how would you store it long term.
I need to start to learn how to package a store food any good web sites.

I hint I learned from a friend: try to shop winco after the first week of the month. The lines are typically shorter. Please don't take this as offensive in any way, it's just a fact that more people shop at winco right after food stamps come on the first of the month.

Also, if your schedule is flexible, the lines are pretty short at midnight (ah, college days had their advantages). Winco is open 24 hours a day.

Exactly right. No Winco before the 10th.

The shortest easiest answer is to pack the food in 5 gallon buckets. You can get as fancy or simple with this as you want. Rice and beans and the like typically store very well for a long time...the fancier you get with your packaging, the longer they should last.

What I do is put the grains inside mylar, inside a 5 gal bucket, put in about 3-4 oxygen absorber packets, squish out as much air as possible then seal it shut with a hair straightening iron, then pound the lid on and label with contents and date packed. Packed in this fashion rice should last 20+ years.

FYI: Rice is the cheapest per calorie method to store food. It's a good idea to store a few other beans and grains as well for variety and protein but there is no reason why the bulk of your food storage couldn't be rice. you'll get real sick of rice real quick....but you'll survive. I pack food in the following ratio: 3 rice to 2 beans to 2 wheat berries to 1 sugar and a few other odds and ends

Costco prices beat Winco on rice, pinto beans, and Grapenuts (yes, I've got a lot of Grapenuts in mylar w/oxygen absorbers). I do most of my normal food shopping at Winco though with the occasional trip to Safeway when they have their BOGO (Buy One Get One free) sales on good meat. Recently stocked up on 7% hamburger and london broil. At $2.50 lb the london broil made some damn good jerky!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top