JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was just there yesterday, and this was the first time I ever saw them carry this stuff (the same kind of stuff you get from the Mormon LDS cannery or that you buy online from places like Auguson Farms or Walton Foods...except this stuff you can cherry pick your favorite items and you don't pay for shipping!)

For those of you who don't know the #10 cans are the really big cans like coffee cans, or industrial sized cans of beans, tomatoes etc. Except long term food storage is put inside and it lasts a lot longer this way!

Here is what they have:

Vegetable stew mix $10.98 ea ($14.09-$17.20 online before S&H)
Granular mashed potatoes $13.xx ($12.40-$14.65 online before S&H)
Whole Egg Powder $14.98 ($18-15-$21.25 online before S&H)
Non Fat Instant dry milk $8.98 ($11.25-$15.40 online before S&H)
freeze dried strawberries $15.xx ($19.59-$20.50 online before S&H)
Honey Coated Banana Slices $7.98 ($8.30-$10.85 online before S&H)

I don't know the exact prices on the mashed potatoes or the strawberries because I thought they were too expensive and wanted to come home and check out other prices I've paid. As it turns out, those ARE good prices. I'll probably skip the strawberries since we grow our own....but I'll go back for some mashed taters.

I'd like to point out that the Whole Egg Powder is a GREAT DEAL as well as the dry milk. Both of these are absolutely essential to any kitchen. Both need special storage care compared with other less perishable food storage items (ideally 60 degrees or less. I keep mine in a cool, dark closet that stays between 60-70)

The bananas are also a great deal and so versatile! You can even just eat the bananas as a snack, add to cereal or oatmel or trailmix, or rehydrate and mash them up for babyfood or smoothies. I think the bananas are great to stock up on because they are cheap and NOT something we can grow in the NW.

I plugged in 1 can of each into the Walton Feed/Rainy Day Foods website and the Auguson Farms website and calculated the Shipping and Handling would be $8.00-$14.95 spread over 6 cans that turns out to be about $1.50-$2.50 per can. The per can shipping cost gets a bit cheaper the more you buy, but still....if you add around $2 per can to the online price it just further illustrates what a good deal these cans are at Winco. I hope they keep increasing their selection!

(I have absolutely NO affiliation with Winco or Rainy Day foods etc. Just a price conscious mom)

No membership, just cheaper, employee owned grocery store. Good prices, sometimes fruit is so so. I saw the cans too. It kinda looked like a season item or a trial item to see if it sells. Saw it in Hillsboro. They also had buckets with variety items.

Most of the items in the #10 cans are great tasting, we use them for hunting, camping and at home to rotate stock.

But, i have found that the TVP (textured vegetable protein) stuff tastes bad, so we stick to items with real meat.

ymmv~

I don't know about the coffee can size stuff but I saw the bigger plastic cans, Auguson brand, yesterday at the south salem winco. IIRC, they were $57 per emergency food kit/can. They were near the meat section, just stacked out on the floor.

Most of the items in the #10 cans are great tasting, we use them for hunting, camping and at home to rotate stock.

But, i have found that the TVP (textured vegetable protein) stuff tastes bad, so we stick to items with real meat.

ymmv~

That would be Costco's Shelf Reliance Brand. Yeah, its cheap but not as good. Taste isn't a huge priority for me when it comes to survival food (ever eat a Datrex bar lol). Mountain House food is better than what I normally eat as a bachelor so sadly I'll be eating better post SHTF, albeit bloated from all the salt.

Which store: This was the Gresham store

Where in the store?: the aisle at the beginning where they display all their sale and new/seasonal items

WINCO: No membership. CHEAP prices- cheaper than anywhere else I am aware of. You bag your own groceries. I agree produce is hit or miss....I usually buy my produce elsewhere. THey also sell supplies for food storage buckets, they sell the buckets, lids, and O2 absorbers and 25# bags of grains.

I was just there yesterday, and this was the first time I ever saw them carry this stuff (the same kind of stuff you get from the Mormon LDS cannery or that you buy online from places like Auguson Farms or Walton Foods...except this stuff you can cherry pick your favorite items and you don't pay for shipping!)

For those of you who don't know the #10 cans are the really big cans like coffee cans, or industrial sized cans of beans, tomatoes etc. Except long term food storage is put inside and it lasts a lot longer this way!

Here is what they have:

Vegetable stew mix $10.98 ea ($14.09-$17.20 online before S&H)
Granular mashed potatoes $13.xx ($12.40-$14.65 online before S&H)
Whole Egg Powder $14.98 ($18-15-$21.25 online before S&H)
Non Fat Instant dry milk $8.98 ($11.25-$15.40 online before S&H)
freeze dried strawberries $15.xx ($19.59-$20.50 online before S&H)
Honey Coated Banana Slices $7.98 ($8.30-$10.85 online before S&H)

The only item that the LDS cannery carries on the above list is the milk. None of the above items are long term, generally only 6 months to a couple of years, the strawberries could be longer. That being said, with proper rotation they could be an excellent addition to food storage.

Dont ever go to Winco's to buy steak or any meat related items. Sure it might be cheaper but seriously it is pretty low quality. Im not picky about meats but its pretty terrible. Also not everything is cheap at Winco's, it really depends on what you buy. I think meat and produce is on the lower end. Probably just as bad as Sav A Lot and Food 4 Less. I don't know why people think its that great of a store. One thing that I truly hate about this store is the check out lanes. I mean I only have about 10 or less items and usually there is someone in front of me that has over 100 items and their kid or family member would just keep on adding items to the cart while I'm waiting patiently. This store is a big fail for me, rather stick to Freddies.

Dont ever go to Winco's to buy steak or any meat related items. Sure it might be cheaper but seriously it is pretty low quality. Im not picky about meats but its pretty terrible. Also not everything is cheap at Winco's, it really depends on what you buy. I think meat and produce is on the lower end. Probably just as bad as Sav A Lot and Food 4 Less. I don't know why people think its that great of a store. One thing that I truly hate about this store is the check out lanes. I mean I only have about 10 or less items and usually there is someone in front of me that has over 100 items and their kid or family member would just keep on adding items to the cart while I'm waiting patiently. This store is a big fail for me, rather stick to Freddies.

I guess we all have our favorite spots for certain budgets and food items.

On a everyday basis I buy most of my shelf/pantry items at Winco as well as dairy and beer. I buy produce and meat at freddies.

for instance these granola bars I buy are $3.79 at Freddies and $2.39 at Winco. I can think of about 1,000 examples like that. but mostly you need to pay attention to prices.

yes, the lines at winco are absolutely horrible! I try to only go 1-2x a month at off-peak times but for me, the savings is really worth it.

I guess we all have our favorite spots for certain budgets and food items.

On a everyday basis I buy most of my shelf/pantry items at Winco as well as dairy and beer. I buy produce and meat at freddies.

for instance these granola bars I buy are $3.79 at Freddies and $2.39 at Winco. I can think of about 1,000 examples like that. but mostly you need to pay attention to prices.

yes, the lines at winco are absolutely horrible! I try to only go 1-2x a month at off-peak times but for me, the savings is really worth it.

Thats true, yoplait yogurt is cheaper at winco and some misc things. I dont work for freddies and nor am I paid by them lol but anyways I just take advantage of my reward points every 3 months they will send you a coupon worth $$$ depending on how much you spend and you can use it towards any purchase at freddies. Also its nice to take 10 cents off every gallon of gas when im filling up. I guess it depends on where you live but given that the Johnson Creek Freddies is close by, its very rewarding. I just think its a waste of time to have to go to multiple stores to do your shopping unless you were saving a load of money. I don't have kids so its difficult for me to say anything about it but most of the times, I see families that go to winco and I know they are probably saving a lot. Anyways sorry to hijack the thread, thanks for the info that winco offers reasonably priced prepper food. Finding prepper food that tastes good and is cheap is hard to find.

The only item that the LDS cannery carries on the above list is the milk. None of the above items are long term, generally only 6 months to a couple of years, the strawberries could be longer. That being said, with proper rotation they could be an excellent addition to food storage.

Best used by dates on a few, of my food items, if stored at 55-70 degrees:

Scrambled eggs- 10 years
Instant milk- 10 years
Rice and chicken- 25 years
Butter powder-10 years
Beef stew- 25 years
Pancake mix- 10 years
Drink mix- 10 years
Potatos- 25 years
Strawberries-30 years
Honey powder-30 years
Banana slices- 10 years

Mountain House 2 person meals in our go bags- best by 2018-19

Heck yeah.... I live like 7 min walking distance from a winco. Last time I was there I noticed Mountain House and it was priced pretty good. I am not close to a China mart... oh sorry I meant wal-mart so I will get Mountain house form winco or maybe even fred meyers. I only go to china mart for ammo... I rather go to bi-mart over china mart though.

Now if winco could only sell ammo.

M67 - please know that expiration dates are a fallacy and in a survival situation those dates could easily be doubled. In other words, almost all freeze dried food in mylar will outlive all of us.

M67 - please know that expiration dates are a fallacy and in a survival situation those dates could easily be doubled. In other words, almost all freeze dried food in mylar will outlive all of us.

Yes, that is very true, Burt!

As an example, when i first joined the military, MRE's were just being stockpiled. The military wanted us to use all the old C-Rations, before they issued us MRE's.

A bunch of the C-Rations were from the Korean war era and were dated from 1950-1952.

I joined the military, in the early 80's, so these C-Rations were 30+ years old and who knows what kind of conditions the C-Rations had been stored in all those years.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top