JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Gandered at that this morning in the freezer there. Yea, it's spelled goatmeat.. from Australia. Anyone tried it? Long ago, we'd have whole goat (kid) on the barby for summer outdoors gatherings and what.. good stuff.

Had some good Portuguese friends in Santa Maria Kalifornia that would pit barbecue whole goats , fall off the bone goodness..Miss those days.....

Haven't tried buying it there, but I work with mostly Indians (a lot of Indians in IT) and I really like their goat meat dishes. That said, the chicken and lamb are good too - I just prefer the goat.

If I could spend more time at home I would raise goats for meat, but from what I have read you don't want to leave goats alone for very long as they can get into trouble.

Thanks for the info - I will have to get some.

What was the price per pound?

Haven't tried buying it there, but I work with mostly Indians (a lot of Indians in IT) and I really like their goat meat dishes. That said, the chicken and lamb are good too - I just prefer the goat.

If I could spend more time at home I would raise goats for meat, but from what I have read you don't want to leave goats alone for very long as they can get into trouble.

Thanks for the info - I will have to get some.

What was the price per pound?
I forget but it seemed like a three or four pound passel for not too steep.. I forget/didn't take/make full note of it.
Goat is already pre-seasoned/rubbed (lol). Probably perhaps just some salt, garlic, olive oil and perhaps some rosemary. or nothing.. oh yea

Kind of strange to be importing it from Australia when probably a third of the rural homes around these parts have goats running around.

Speaking of Australia...has anyone ever tried kangaroo meat? I'd like to but I have never seen any for sale anywhere.

.If I could spend more time at home I would raise goats for meat, but from what I have read you don't want to leave goats alone for very long as they can get into trouble..
I'm no goat whisperer or wrangler (never personally kept goats) but lots of my extended family has and if memory serves, a simple/standard 4' high, 4" "hole" hog fence (without a top rail) will generally keep them in place. Of course if you have trees etc. with draping or extending limbs, all bets are off. it's really not a big deal though generally. just eat them before they go/get all Houdini.

Kind of strange to be importing it from Australia when probably a third of the rural homes around these parts have goats running around.

Speaking of Australia...has anyone ever tried kangaroo meat? I'd like to but I have never seen any for sale anywhere.
Most lamb come from Australia/New Zealand also and ship tonnage costs money. Indeed.. it must be a simple matter of money/demand/environment if you can imagine that.

We'd actually generally get them free out of the paper because they were free and didn't want or need to off the milk goat for a snack or there were no other of our goats to eat. That's hint code for you can probably still get free goats were you of a mind and to look.

I'm no goat whisperer or wrangler (never personally kept goats) but lots of my extended family has and if memory serves, a simple/standard 4' high, 4" "hole" hog fence (without a top rail) will generally keep them in place. Of course if you have trees etc. with draping or extending limbs, all bets are off. it's really not a big deal though generally. just eat them before they go/get all Houdini.
My property has lots of trees and brush - that is one reason why I would like some goats. Right now though I don't really have the time to care for any animals.

I raise Soay sheep, which most people mistake for goats.
esrihermione.jpg
Adults weigh about 60 to 100 pounds. A yearling lamb will weigh about 40 to 50 pounds. These sheep are much easier to raise than goats. They do really well on just grass. They don't challenge fences, are disease resistant, require no help birthing, and shed their wool every Spring. The meat stays "lamb" for at least 3 years. It tastes like the very best venison. By the time we pay for winter hay, processing, and butchering the meat costs us about $3 per pound. A whole 20 pound lamb carcass on the BBQ will feed a lot of people and it's delicious.

My property has lots of trees and brush - that is one reason why I would like some goats. Right now though I don't really have the time to care for any animals.
I hear you. I'd like an aviary for the fun of it, a coop and critters on the hoof. It's easy to buy stuff from the store.. and now goat!
I remember posting about some Costco lamb a year or so ago.. full carcasses hanging in cheesecloth right next to bacon or what. quite reasonable

The thing about the "Okinawan Diet" is that yea, they eat a lot of greens or what and eat perhaps only 80 lbs of animal protien (pork) per annum, but they eat all of the afforded fat from the brains (cholesterol good for maleness/whatever) to the tendons etc.
And they work hard daily.. it's no big deal, twinkie bois
nevermind

We enjoy going to a local restaurant that serves an African Buffet and the goat is the best thing on the table! They prepare it by braising in a liquid that either thickens or is thickened into a rich brown gravy. It's spectacular!:p

Had some good Portuguese friends in Santa Maria Kalifornia that would pit barbecue whole goats , fall off the bone goodness..Miss those days.....
I knew some Portuguese down around Paso Robles long ago.. they pit BBQ'd (hole in the ground) a horse head.. it was very good. Some time later, me and some buds tried it on our own and kinda got too drunk or something and didn't bother digging it up.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top