JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was in the Corvallis Bi-Mart at lunch and saw that they had a Winchester SXP 18" pump for $299. Very tempting since a HD shotgun is on my short list of things to get as a relatively new gun owner/shooter. After reading about it, I think I will wait and spend a little more and get a nice used Benelli Supernova or a Mossberg 500 series or Remington 870.

I picked up the maverick 88 at bimart last week for under 200$. Same thing for me, first HD shotgun. Seems to be mossberg 500 stripped down. It is what it is, but the price is right for something I'll hopefully never use. Not a range toy.

The Winchester is a badge engineered import but they sure have slick actions and I have read a lot of good reviews on them, don't let it being an import scare you as the Benelli is an import and both are built to better standards than modern 870s. The Maverick is a Mossy 500 made of parts sourced from Mexico but final assembly is in Texas, the main difference is the safety position and the slide tube, I have never heard bad about them from people who actually have them. As to made in America or not it's a gray area now a days, some of the best shotguns are being built in Turkey now, the most American car you can buy is a Honda Odyssey followed by a lot of other "imports" while the bulk of American cars and trucks are built one country north or south.

I've owned both a Winchester SXP Defender and a 500, and when I first got the SXP this was not long after they started doing manufacturing in Turkey, so I was a bit skeptical. However, I never had any problems with it and it was easy to disassemble and maintain, and I could shoot buckshot and slugs through it, which I always enjoy. However as @JRapRobert said the Maverick 88 is essentially the same gun for a hundred bucks cheaper. All in all the SXP works perfectly well but it wouldn't really be my first pick.

The Maverick 88 was my first shotgun and I still have it. I have shot numerous cases of 00 buckshot over the years with my 88.

I have two Winchester 1300's made in the 90's that have 1000's of rounds through them. I trust them over my 18 different AR's and Ak's in my collection. Built simple, built to last. But things change. Don't know if that helps.

The Winchester is a badge engineered import but they sure have slick actions and I have read a lot of good reviews on them, don't let it being an import scare you as the Benelli is an import and both are built to better standards than modern 870s. The Maverick is a Mossy 500 made of parts sourced from Mexico but final assembly is in Texas, the main difference is the safety position and the slide tube, I have never heard bad about them from people who actually have them. As to made in America or not it's a gray area now a days, some of the best shotguns are being built in Turkey now, the most American car you can buy is a Honda Odyssey followed by a lot of other "imports" while the bulk of American cars and trucks are built one country north or south.
The other big difference is the 500 receiver is drilled and tapped so you can add a rail to the top.

Unfortunately I don't have any experience with Winchester. However, if you want a semi-auto for $299 sportsman's Warehouse has the Citadel Boss Hod at that price. For being so cheap they run great. From Turkey. I have one. Only issue is your limited to 1275fps so you can't run low recoil stuff. The recoil is fairly stout. Mine will run low recoil slugs but I don't know that all will.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top