JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My little brother (not by blood but being my best friends little brother who I have known for over 25 years) inherited a Winchester Mdl 94 .30-30 with a 5 digit serial number starting with a 78XXX. He runs the family farm and doesn't have time to research it himself. He is the 4th generation to own this rifle and is wondering what year it was made.

I am looking for a web sight or other reference that give me the date.

Thanks.

SF-

Glad to help. Lots of variables that contribute to value. Overall condition, originality, amount made that year and any 'key' features it may have. I am currently going through this process myself as I am looking to add a '94 in 25-35 to my collection and prices are all over the map but I am beginning to get a handle on it so I can have an 'educated' guess when I head out to look at one. Try Gunbroker or Gunsamerica as a starting point.

10-4.

I figured early on Winchesters was something I wasn't going to get into with my OCD personality traits. I was born in the wrong generation to be collecting Winchesters.

Thank you for your help.

SF-

Ah the stories they could tell... I go through guns like some women go through shoes but there is one gun I have had the longest, a Winchester 1892 made in 1894. Kind of exciting owning and shooting something over one hundred years old. Its cool that its been in his family for so long.

Any idea what the value is on that? That will be his next question.
First thing would be a basic identification of the rifle. Does his rifle have a 22, 24 or 26" octagon, half octagon or round barrel with a forestock end cap? If so this would be a true Model 94 or does it have the 20" round barrel with barrel bands? If so then he has a Model 94 Carbine which is the style we commonly see and call a Model 94. Big difference in value. The true Model 94's can be worth double or more over the carbine but like I said condition is everything. A few weeks ago a 1908 Mod 94 carbine in 25-35 popped up for sale locally so I went to look at it and the poor guy selling it must have got some real bad information. He was asking $1200.00 for it but the reality was (and given it's condition) it was maybe a $200.00 wall hanger and then it needed work for just that.

As to value, and with info provided, I can answer that question with absolute accuracy.

A Winchester 94, made in 1897, handed down 4 generations to its present owner is absolutely priceless.

Sale value (for insurance purposes, etc.) is more problematic: Condition is everything. Rifle or carbine? Round or octagon barrel? Saddle ring? Sights?
No one could put a price on it without actually seeing the gun first hand.

Tell your ersatz brother to go hunting with it, think about his ancestors who did the same, and on a solitary hunt he will feel a presence that is palpable.

Great Grandpa will whisper where that buck is waiting.

His dad, whose been like my dad for the 25 years, says it shoots great and a little to the right.

I've been asking for pics from him. Will post them as soon as I get them.

SF-

the above link is based off the research of G. Madis, which has been proven to be off by several years.

Dates are available from Cody Museum based on the original polish room records from Winchester.

here is a time line for you 78XXX.

77924 - 3-29-1900
78333 - 9-12-1900
79036 - 1-8-1900

should put you ~4/1900.
You can also request a build record of your rifle from Cody Museum.

Gordon

the above link is based off the research of G. Madis, which has been proven to be off by several years.

Dates are available from Cody Museum based on the original polish room records from Winchester.

here is a time line for you 78XXX.

77924 - 3-29-1900
78333 - 9-12-1900
79036 - 1-8-1900

should put you ~4/1900.
You can also request a build record of your rifle from Cody Museum.

Gordon

Do you have a link?

SF-

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads