Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $1,000 in prizes this month in the Northwest Firearms Winter Giveaway!
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester Serial Number.Ending In X....HELP...

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Dallas Ken, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Dallas Ken

Dallas Ken Dallas Or. Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Need some help on this one Gents, even Winchester had no answer. I have a model 94 30-30 Wiinchester that has a 7 digit serial number followed by an X. I talked to the Winchester help line and they said the date was 1964 which I had already determined but had no idea of what the X was for. The X is stamped in perfect order with the numbers.
    I read on a web site from an old-timer that it was used by Winchester to signify a duplicate serial number........??? Winchester said they didn't use that and would have re-stamped it. (which I doubt)
    ANY HELP OUT THERE??
    Thanks, Ken

2. jonn5335

jonn5335 Longview Active Member

I have heard that an x at the end of a serial number was used on duplicate serials as well. When did you talk to winchester ? They have changed hands a few times since 1964 and highly doubt they kept records going that far back. The most recent winchester owners may chuck a new receiver in the garbage but 50 years ago I don't think they would waste them.

3. Dallas Ken

Dallas Ken Dallas Or. Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Just talked to them about an hour ago, after getting nowhere with the first call I called their other number....same answer there, guy said he had never heard of it but their historian would be in Wednesday and to call back. I was looking again on the net and found another reference to the X. It also stated that at times the stamping machine would malfunction and duplicate a SN, at that time an X would be added and even a double X in rare instances.
    Thanks for your reply, really appreciate it, Ken

Boomerang and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter