JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
New guy here. Been lurking for a while, thought I'd join up and see if anyone can help me on this. I've got an old model 94 that I shot my first deer with about 50 years ago. Does any one know where or how I could search the ser.# to find out when it was made? Any help would really be appreciated.
Thanks,
Murf/kokehead

I've always used Winchester manufacture dates. Just google it. Someone on the boards said there is a better site but I don't remember where it is.

Fella with handle of "deadeye' checked the serial# in the blue book for me and determined it was mfg. in 1941. Thought it might a little older, even though it doesn't have the octogon barrell, but still happy with that. It's only a very few years older than me! It's not anything I hunt with, just keep it cause it was my Dad's gun. Thanks to all for the interest, this seems like a great and friendly site, I will "hang around" more often.
Murf

I'm still laughing at his username.....kokehead....lol

I got my first dear with a 30-30 of my dads also, I still remember what he said right after the deer went down, "wow he got it" like he was expecting otherwise:s0112:

Not many people pick up on the meaning of the spelling, just fishermen I guess. My 94 is chambered to 32 W.S., never did know what the difference is in that and the 30.30.

My 94 is chambered to 32 W.S., never did know what the difference is in that and the 30.30.
Other than being .311 Caliber I believe the rifling twist was slower than the 30-30 and that was a mistake. When the Special barrel got a little worn accuracy diminished dramatically but the 30-30 with a faster twist maintained accuracy even with a worn barrel. Ballistics are about the same.

Motorhomescientist is on the right track, with some caveats (for those of you from Rio Linda, that's "exceptions").

The .32 Special and the .30-30 were more than occasionally in the early years reloaded with blackpowder, and the .32 received this treatment more often. In fact, if a customer knew he'd be reloading for his gun with blackpowder, he'd most often select the .32.

Thus, there is a belief that the .32 itself (or the barrel design) was responsible somehow for deterioration of accuracy, when in fact in most cases it might have been a result of black powder usage and lack of sufficient cleaning.

The most accurate old model 94 Saddle Ring Carbine I've ever shot (and probably the most accurate '94 of all types I ever shot) happens to be a .32. An anomaly perhaps (as individual rifles of any model/type can somehow receive such a blessing in their manufacture), but it sure opened my eyes.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top