JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A family member has the above rifle. Serial number dates it to 1964. I have seen a picture, but not the actual rifle.
She says barrel looks bright. Furniture in the picture seemed to be in good to VG condition.
I understand it's not as desirable as a pre-64, but can anyone advise on fair market value?
She is in the Bend/ Redmond area, and I'm just trying to assist so she can move it along at a fair price.
Thanks!

@2Wheels4Ever supplies good advice. With all the focus on 1964 (when Winchester "cheapened" their guns to survive), a real 1964 Model 94 might hold some additional value as an "example".

Everybody wants '94 .30-30. Sounds like a real good one.

"The Winchester 1894 has the distinction of being the world's most popular rifle." Blue Book of Guns # 42, page 2349. The Winchester '94 is based on the original, but most people would not recognize the family resemblance at first glance. There are so many variations that it boggles the mind.
I would agree with Spit & 2Wheels on the price range for a VG. However, I might lean towards the high end given the political climate. Getting some cash out of that one should be pretty easy at any local gun show. I'd look for a rack of "birds of feather" and show the table operators what you have. Walk through the place and may the highest bid above $X get it. I usually try to come up with $X before I walk into a show... Good luck!

I found some prices on the website listed below. Hope it helps.

What is a 1964 WINCHESTER MODEL 94 Rifle Worth?

A 1964 WINCHESTER MODEL 94 rifle is currently worth an average price of $891.17 used

The 12 month average price is $891.17 used.

The used value of a 1964 WINCHESTER MODEL 94 rifle has fallen $0.00 dollars over the past 12 months to a price of $891.17 .

The demand of new 1964 WINCHESTER MODEL 94 rifle's has not changed over the past 12 months.
The demand of used 1964 WINCHESTER MODEL 94 rifle's has fallen 1 units over the past 12 months.

I found some prices on the website listed below. Hope it helps.

What is a 1964 WINCHESTER MODEL 94 Rifle Worth?

A 1964 WINCHESTER MODEL 94 rifle is currently worth an average price of $891.17 used

The 12 month average price is $891.17 used.

The used value of a 1964 WINCHESTER MODEL 94 rifle has fallen $0.00 dollars over the past 12 months to a price of $891.17 .

The demand of new 1964 WINCHESTER MODEL 94 rifle's has not changed over the past 12 months.
The demand of used 1964 WINCHESTER MODEL 94 rifle's has fallen 1 units over the past 12 months.

Thank you @jbett98 @94Win30WCF @Spitpatch and @2Wheels4Ever
All very helpful info.

A family member has the above rifle. Serial number dates it to 1964. I have seen a picture, but not the actual rifle.
She says barrel looks bright. Furniture in the picture seemed to be in good to VG condition.
I understand it's not as desirable as a pre-64, but can anyone advise on fair market value?
She is in the Bend/ Redmond area, and I'm just trying to assist so she can move it along at a fair price.
Thanks!
don't sell at a gun show...............dealers at gun shows are there to make a profit, so you can expect 50% value at best. same with a pawn shop.list it in the classifieds on this forum or gunbroker.

don't sell at a gun show...............dealers at gun shows are there to make a profit, so you can expect 50% value at best. same with a pawn shop.list it in the classifieds on this forum or gunbroker.
Thanks…
She sold to a neighbor (via an FFL) for $500.
I think both parties did OK.

yes gunbroker if you want common or most popular gunbroker is not for you. but if you want a savage 219 in 30 30 or 25 20 gun broker has it. or many other hard to find guns such as colt python etc. if you like old or uniqe guns as i do, you have to broaden your search, hard to find ammo gun broker has it. if you don't like the price you don't want it bad enough. i have found some bargains and i have overpaid, but got what i wanted

I remember i had a 94 back in ...94.. 1994 or so :).. then i got to shoot a friends 94 made in 50 or 55.. sure could tell the difference.. the newer one felt cheap and no where near as solid as the old one..

so ya, the older ones should be far more desirable and command a permium over the newish stuff

I remember i had a 94 back in ...94.. 1994 or so :).. then i got to shoot a friends 94 made in 50 or 55.. sure could tell the difference.. the newer one felt cheap and no where near as solid as the old one..

so ya, the older ones should be far more desirable and command a permium over the newish stuff
Yes indeed, there is a considerable difference in both materials and craftsmanship between those baby Winchesters made in '94 and those more mature pieces built back in the '50s. If you really want a treat, get ahold of one of the 1894-1900 or so grand pappy models and compare them vs. the youngsters :s0008:

While it is fashionable to disparage "post 64" Winchesters, it should be noted that in 1972 Winchester overhauled their line (certainly motivated by all the bad press since '64, as well as competition for market share).

The 1972 guns WERE of noticeably better quality, and the '94 even got a re-designed lever that solidified its operation against any rattle or play. (This was the same year the 9422 came out, and NOBODY disparages the quality of those guns).

Something to consider when shopping.

then i got to shoot a friends 94 made in 50 or 55.. sure could tell the difference..
I understand this - my 1899 is far smoother than either my '66 or '67 94s.

By the late 1970's they were using some CNC machines in the mfg. process. I had one of these and it was well made. Shouldn't have sold it.
I had a '77 year model at one time and it too was pretty well made. In '72 they started to use more more iron in the sintered metal 'batter' for the receivers and they blued pretty nicely. Pretty smooth and very accurate as well. Like you I wish I still had mine.

Last Edited:
A "Sleeper" for anyone looking for a Model 94 that REALLY shoots, would be to find a Commemorative that has lost nearly all its (minor, additional) value as a collector's item merely by having been taken out of the box and shot.

The particular Commemorative edition would not matter, but I would look for a full rifle (not a carbine), and with the octagon barrel (more metal).

The Commemoratives obviously received some extra attention at the finishing stage of their production. I bet those full length octagon rifle barrels came off their very own line at the factory.

Here's a good story on commemorative Winchester '94 rifles by Chuck Hawks.

"One day during the summer of 1966, a group of us were in the Mojave Desert hunting jack rabbits with our deer rifles. In those days we spent most of our free time hunting in the desert. This particular afternoon we chanced upon one of the old "desert rats" who lived out there. These tough old individualists eked out a substance living by residing in caves, trapping or shooting game, and scavenging a little bit of gold from the various abandoned mines that littered the area. This they used to pay for the few store bought necessities they purchased in tiny semi-ghost towns like Randsburg and the comparative metropolis of Red Mountain.
Anyway, I was carrying my Winchester Centennial '66 rifle when we happened upon this old boy. He had a truly ancient Winchester .30-30, as I recall, and was intrigued by our modern hunting rifles. But the gun that really caught his eye was my Centennial '66 rifle. He was absolutely knocked out by the flashy Winchester. He told me that he had never seen such a beautiful rifle. I let him play around with it a little bit, for which he was very appreciative. I mention this incident only because it was in some ways typical--the Centennial '66 always stood out in a crowd!"

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top