JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone know the going local rate on a decent shooter grade M-71? Looking to perhaps trade a second generation Colt 45 SAA for a shooter.

The example I looked over was a deluxe rifle in 80% condition for $1775, has a Lyman 56 aperture with target knobs on it. It's action is my avatar pic, few more below

IMG_20161216_32966.jpg IMG_20161216_50108.jpg

Has the stock been cut or the recoil pad added on to it? If its been cut that will have a great effect on value. These are a highly collectable rifle. You do not say when this rifle was manufactured a pre war rifle will be slightly higher for the same condition. Is the rifle still in .348 WIN (keep in mind unless you reload this is a very expensive caliber to shoot) If you do reload cases are spendy and don't last as long as some due to the taper and the neck. They stretch easier then a straighter walled cartridge.

All that said $1775.00 (if this is a WINCHESTER pre 59 manufacture) then the price is in my opinion a very good deal. If its a Later production or a Browning then its more like a market price. In fact the price leads me to believe this isn't a pre 59 rifle as they tend to run 2500 to 4000 depending on condition.

YMMV

OH PS one of my first hunting rifles was my dads model 71 (made in 1936) I did a lod of reloading for it with him as a kid. And was pissed one of the younger brothers got it when dad passed away (course I got the model 1895 which is as collectable and valuable)

Mark, ss# puts this rifle 1947/48.

If the winchester marked recoil pad isn't factory then it was installed by a very competent gunsmith. The installation looks perfect to me, and the length of pull when I threw up to my shoulder felt spot-on. Even the recoil pads 2 screw holes are filled with a matching colored material.

The rifles barrel finish matches the reciviver & has the original 348 WCF marking. Didn't ask but assuming it's in its original caliber. I do reload, no problem there.

If I go back to buy this thing, I'll interrogate the shop owner, just need to know if his starting price is in the ball park.

IMG_20161216_40852.jpg 20161215_113421.jpg IMG_20161216_2140.jpg

Last Edited:
The stampings and other marking look original and since .348 Win was the original caliber and only caliber the rifle came in.

As to the recoil pad.......some very very big deal long time collectors are very doubtful but admit its possible. You will not see another one on Gun Broker for instance.

Myself with the darkening of the finish on the butt end of the stock as well as the condition of the pad I would only think it original if I removed the pad and saw original finish under it and no other screw holes. It is how ever a period pad. So it could have been on the rifle since it was new or soon after. The stock butt plate on a model 71 is curved so to fit that recoil pad with its flat mating surface it would have had to have had the butt cut down (if the pull is original) and made flat. If the pull is longer then original then it still would have had to have been flattened. Only seeing factory finish on the Butt end of the wood would show it was factory installed (which was not done very often by the time this rifle was made)

The price from what I have seen over the last few years is a very good price even if the pad is an add on. Length of pull as measured to the center of the pad and the center of the trigger should be 13 1/4" also I would double check the barrel length. Close the action run a 1/4" dowel down the bore and scribe a mark on the dowel remove and measure anything less then 24" and its been recrowned.

ALL this said why are you buying it? is it to be a perfect example in a collection? Or will it be a collectable you still hunt with? (like my model 1895 but only on dry days)

If its to be a collectable hunting rifle then I would personally say the price is a very good price to buy at.

I'm not an expert but I do follow these rifles as well as most other Winchesters as I want to be ready if I win the lottery.

let me know what you decide.

Last Edited:
Three years ago I was talking to a Winchester collector about buying one of his model 71's and the only one I could afford at that time was a well used one that didn't look half as good as the one you're showing.
He wanted $1,275.00 for it and over $2,000.00 for another one in better condition.
He did mention that Winchester always applied the stocks finish with the butt plate already affixed and if you look very carefully, you could see the matching brush stokes on the wood stock to the butt plate.

These days even if the stock is cut, $1775 is a decent price. Of course all original is going to be worth more than that asking price.
As for the pad itself, they still are making those exact pads, and I have replaced a few broken down ones and they look great when complete.
I would snatch this one up, being mfg in the mid 40's is a good thing.

That's a beautiful 71. I'd buy it, even though the pad is not original. I used to hunt with a long tang that was made in '37. Cool old rifles and very effective cartridge.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top