Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Winchester model 70

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by reiner, Nov 22, 2009.

1. reiner

reiner McMinnville, Oregon New Member

Hi,

What is a Winchester model 70, 300 wheatherby mag with a 3x9 Leapold on it worth. It has less than 50 rounds fired thru it.
    Shawn

2. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

When was it made? Is it really a .300 Wby mag, or a .300 Win mag? Pics?

3. reiner

reiner McMinnville, Oregon New Member

It is a real 300 weatherby mag. Made by Winchester in the model 70. It was made in the late 90's I think. not sure on that. Do you know what it is worth?

4. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

Post 1964, Winchester made big changes to the Mod 70 to compete with lower priced rifles that were push feed designs from Remington and others. I don't remember exactly when, but after Winchester was bought out by US Repeating Arms and then eventually Browning, they went back to the pre 1964 style positive feed Mauser style actions with the big claw extractor.

If you have a Bi-Mart in your area, or a Borders bookstore, you can look up the Williams Bluebook of Gun Values and get an idea of the value of your rifle based on when it was made, condition, and what type of action it is.

I had one of the push feed Mod 70's that I bought around 1980 that was a fine rifle, but wouldn't have fetched near what a pre '64 rifle would have.

I currently have a Mod 70 from when Browning owned rights that is based on the pre '64 controlled feed action like the original pre '64's that is arguably better than the original pre 64's, although some would burn me at the stake as a heretic for saying so. :laugh: