WINCHESTER MODEL 70 .338 WINCHESTER MAGNUM: CUSTOM WOOD/MAGNAPORTED *****SOLD*****

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spitpatch

Reactions
This is a post-64 push-feed Model 70 that has been set up to be the centerpiece of an elk or Alaska trip.

The wood is a very trim and highly functional style, with flawless wood to metal fit, and strikingly figured black walnut. Rollover cheekpiece, Pachmayr "Competitor" vent recoil pad, Mike's swivel studs. High luster (what looks like epoxy) finish.

It is apparent that when this stock was fitted, all metal was reblued to deep luster polish by the same professional, barrel was shortened to 22" and Magna-Ported. Makes this lightweight thumper kick less than a .270.

Whoever paid for all this work wanted a slim, fast handling and easy-carrying business rifle. I believe the craftsman might be Kurt Mueller of Forest Grove, and I will confirm (or refute) this with him shortly. ***CONFIRMED!*** (see bump post below). (The stock design and finish work is identical to a .221 Fireball Sako he built for me.)

Gun shows minor hunting wear. This was no "fleece case queen" during its hunts, but was very well cared for. Someone else's dream gun can now be yours at a fraction of what it cost to put together.

Serious inquiries may enjoy exploration toward inclusion of Leupold rings or mounts in order to cinch a deal. The gun currently sports Weavers.

Asking $575.

P7080136.jpg
P7080137.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Spitpatch

Spitpatch

Reactions
Bumping this gem to the top. Come see it, handle it, make me a fair cash offer, and you may be pleasantly surprised. I am not a magnum guy, took this in trade, and am a very motivated seller.

Great discovery today regarding this gun: As I suspected, and related in the post, this gun in fact did come out of Kurt Mueller's shop in Forest Grove. I stopped by there today to visit with Kurt, and he instantly recognized this gun as the product of his father's careful hand. Herb Mueller was among the very best riflesmiths in the Northwest, did everything "old school" and careful, and perfect. His work was regarded as equal to (or better than) than Linden, or Biesen (Jack O'Connor's favorites). Unfortunately, Herb Mueller passed away in 2002, so we will see no more of this level of craftsmanship. Kurt learned everything from his Dad, but is the first to admit he cannot equal Herb's skill.

OP
Spitpatch

Spitpatch

Reactions
Bumping again. One guy floated $500, and I advised him we had the very good start of a discussion, and recommended he see the gun first hand. He never replied, so I guess it was not a hard offer.

OP
Spitpatch

Spitpatch

Reactions
I thought I was pretty clear about being a motivated seller. Not sure what else I could have told you, other than a fair offer would be kindly received and considered. Glad you have made a decision, and are purchasing a gun for your son.

Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
DRRC .22 Rimfire Challenge Oct 10
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Oregon State Steel Challenge Championship
Central Oregon Shooting Sports Association
Millican, OR 97701, USA
Miller's Quarry Clean-Up
Miller's Quarry
Miller Rd, Mt Hood Village, OR 97067, USA
Free Firearms Safety Course (I-1639 Compliant)
Virtual Webinar (Zoom)
Seattle, WA, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• J&B Firearm Sales
    5.00 star(s)
    Good local shop
    Picked up a rifle yesterday from J&B. This was the second or third gun purchase over the last few years from them. I always enjoy stopping by...
  • H&K Gun Shop
    5.00 star(s)
    The only place I have found 9mm in stock
    I’ll admit I didn’t even know this place existed, as I don’t tend to go into Forest Grove often. But it’s a giant (looks bigger from the...
  • Revelation Arms
    4.00 star(s)
    Depends who answers the phone
    I was given the number to Roger Loock by Beaver Creek Armory, as I needed parts I had ordered from MCarbo installed on a Kel-Tec Sub2000. On my...
  • Coastal Farm & Ranch - Cornelius
    3.00 star(s)
    Lesson learned
    I’ll take some responsibility here, as I took the employee at their word instead of doing a thorough inspection. Short story is that I asked for a...
  • MK Tactical
    5.00 star(s)
    Good guys!
    I stop in here every once in a while to see what Michael has in the clearance section, and to ask questions when I have a project in mind...
Top Bottom