JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a beater Winchester 410 shotgun that has a full choke diameter muzzle. I don't hunt, shoot clays or have any other great need to shoot shot shells out of it other than for fun. I would like to make it a slug gun. First step will be to drill out the choke diameter of the barrel. I don't want the muzzle to be looser than the next most restrictive point in the barrel.

How would you decide what diameter bit to use to drill out the choke?

it would better to 'ream' the choked area out as you stand a good chance if destroying the end of the barrel by trying to drill it out.

It would probably be much more practical to measure to the area just behind the 'choke' area and just cut the barrel off.

it would better to 'ream' the choked area out as you stand a good chance if destroying the end of the barrel by trying to drill it out.

It would probably be much more practical to measure to the area just behind the 'choke' area and just cut the barrel off.
I am open to cutting the barrel behind the choked portion. What would be the easiest way to figure out where the choke restriction ends?

An internal bore caliper OR an adjustable inner diameter gauge expansion hole manual measuring tool or an inside spring caliper.
Well, I am fresh out of all those devices. I will try to slug the barrel with a 40 cal cast bullet driven in from the breech side of the barrel. When I begin to feel some resistance I will mark the pounding rod and assume that is the begining of the choke restriction. Generally how long are 410 choke restrictions in the barrel?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top