JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently purchased a Winchester Model 37A 410ga shotgun from a member here. I read that the Model 37 barrel was forged steel and had the words Steel-Built on barrel. The 37A that I purchased has the words Winchester Proof Steel on the barrel. Does anybody know if the Model 37A barrel is forged steel?

20201017_135814.jpg

My model 37 ( 1950's era ) states : STEELBUILT
This stamping is referring to the receiver being made of steel instead of iron , like many other early models of single shot shotguns.

I would think that your 37A being of a later production , would have a forged steel barrel.
Andy

My model 37 ( 1950's era ) states : STEELBUILT
This stamping is referring to the receiver being made of steel instead of iron , like many other early models of single shot shotguns.

I would think that your 37A being of a later production , would have a forged steel barrel.
Andy
Thanks for that info. Wiki claims that maximum pressure for 410 shells is 18,130 psi. What would the Winchester 410 barrels be proofed at?

Last Edited:
Thanks for that info. Wiki claims that maximum pressure for 410 shells is 18,130 psi. What would the Winchester 410 barrels be proofed at?
You are very welcome.

I have no idea what the barrels are proofed at ....and I also would have no worries whatsoever shooting any 410 shell out of a Winchester 37A ( assuming its in good working order ).
They are a post -64 gun...so while the "looks" may not be as nice as a Model 37...it will be fine to hunt and shoot with.
Andy

I recently purchased a Winchester Model 37A 410ga shotgun from a member here. I read that the Model 37 barrel was forged steel and had the words Steel-Built on barrel. The 37A that I purchased has the words Winchester Proof Steel on the barrel. Does anybody know if the Model 37A barrel is forged steel?

View attachment 763953
Your gun is actually a renamed Cooey model 84 (Canadian manufacturer).
The 37A, 370, 84 and 840 were all Cooey guns Winchester put their name on, when they bought out Cooey in 1964..
The guns were all built between the 1960's and the 1980's.
All are made with modern steel.
Unless there's an issue with the gun, it should be safe to fire with modern loads.

Dean

Your gun is actually a renamed Cooey model 84 (Canadian manufacturer).
The 37A, 370, 84 and 840 were all Cooey guns Winchester put their name on, when they bought out Cooey in 1964..
The guns were all built between the 1960's and the 1980's.
All are made with modern steel.
Unless there's an issue with the gun, it should be safe to fire with modern loads.

Dean
Thanks, I successfully fired a 410 shell out my 37A the weekend before last but I still can't get the trigger to cock with 303 brass in the chamber. I think the rim thickness may be too thick on the 303 brass and is somehow preventing the trigger from traveling back to cocked position?

Last Edited:
Thanks, I successfully fired a 410 shell out my 37A the weekend before last but I still can't get the trigger to cock with 303 brass in the chamber. I think the rim thickness may be too thick on the 303 brass and is somehow preventing the trigger from traveling back to cocked position?
This may sound kinda harsh, but if I were you, I wouldn't worry about trying to fire ammo out of a gun that its not chambered for and just enjoy the little .410 for what it is.
Glad to hear the gun works as designed.

Dean

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top