JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was at the range the other day shooting trap.
Drop the shell in brought the slide forward and the round went off before it was in battery.
Got lucky didn't get hurt.
The action flew open flames shot out and ejected the plactic part of the shell about 20 feet in the air.
The brass part just disintegrated.
The extractor is gone and the action is jammed open about three-quarters of the way.
The bolt is about a quarter of an inch further back than the slide in comparison to my other model 1897.
Anybody know any good model 1897 gunsmiths in the Portland / Salem area.
I'm assuming at this point it's going to be a wall hanger from here on out.

Do you know for sure what size chamber you have? 2 1/2" or 2 3/4? The earlier ones were chambered for 2 1/2" and could be bad news if you had your finger on the trigger while cycling the action with a 2 3/4" round in the chamber.

Do you know for sure what size chamber you have? 2 1/2" or 2 3/4? The earlier ones were chambered for 2 1/2" and could be bad news if you had your finger on the trigger while cycling the action with a 2 3/4" round in the chamber.
It's2 3/4 on the barrel.
I've shot hundreds of rounds of the same ammo through it.
I did not have my finger on the trigger while closing the action.
Don't know if it's possible the firing pin hung up inthe forward position set off the round upon closing.

Does the serial numbers look like this?
xSerial_E550787_Model_1897_v_1401705672.jpeg.pagespeed.ic.BNvOaHIzed.jpg

Or like this?

xSerial_E555552_Model_1897_Riot_Gun_SF_v_1401703852.jpeg.pagespeed.ic.OzuNeplQ6K.jpg

Sounds like the firing pin didn't retract on the last shot fired before the malfunction. Probably has some worn parts after 120 years the Cowboy shooting guys know these best. Everything is repairable I wouldn't give up on it before learning more.

Last Edited:
I didn't see that the question was answered. Is there a gunsmith in the area that would be recommended to work on a 1897? I received my grandfathers early 1903/04 12 gauge this last weekend and I'd like to get it checked out to see if it's serviceable to use as a light load grouse gun.

I didn't see that the question was answered. Is there a gunsmith in the area that would be recommended to work on a 1897? I received my grandfathers early 1903/04 12 gauge this last weekend and I'd like to get it checked out to see if it's serviceable to use as a light load grouse gun.

:s0122:

Which model did ya get, take down, trench, field?
@N.W.CustomFirearms or @Velzey would be my first choice, both are absolute top notch 'smiths and would be able to give it a honest once over and any recommendations!

Well, the last one (Win 1897) that I bought (nice re-blue) cost me $350. And, I've seen one recently at a pawn shop going for $300. So....gunsmith repairs or another 1897?

Where is a gunsmith with 1897 knowledge?

I don't exactly know. But, I'd try by talking to anyone old enough to know what an 1897 is. LOL.

Hint: A gunsmith who is involved with SASS.

Thinking of DIY, key words: Marauder's Cowboy Page

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR