Winchester model 1897 Question

Discussion in 'Shotgun Discussion' started by Charger, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Deavis

Deavis
    Mid Willamette Valley

2. Kotto69

Kotto69
    Sherwood

Really hoping for someone local to the SW Metro area... Has anyone been out to Rich's Gun Shop out in Donald (between Newberg and Aurora)? I know they used to be in Lake Oswego years ago.

3. Lance Jacobs

Lance Jacobs
    South Willamette Valley Oregon
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Well, Winchester discontinued production of the 1897 model in 1957. So the gun could very well be a lot younger than that.

Still, the gun has been out of production for 61 years. If Charger is not the original owner, then who knows how many rounds may have gone through it.

4. ma96782

ma96782
    Vancouver, WA
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Have you tried....Allison & Carey in Gresham,OR? (SE Stark and SE 174th Ave.) It’s an impressive place.....you can see all the machines right there behind the counter.

The gunsmith/guy said, “Yeah, bring it over we’ll take a look.”

Anyway.....at least he knew what an 1897 was. And freely spoke about my projects and gun troubles with my 17mach2, along with the other things that I picked his brain with. They have been in business.......IIRC he said 60 years?”

Full disclosure, I’ve never used their gunsmithing service.....just like to stop in every now and again for small parts and miscellaneous stuff. The used parts, stocks, etc..... table is like shopping at a gun show. But of course....no beanie babies. LOL.

Aloha, Mark

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018 at 10:35 PM