JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi,

I have a Winchester Model 1894 in .30 W.C.F. from 1940 (so Pre-64) that has an issue and I was hoping someone here might be able to help me figure out a fix for it. When you work the level while holding the firearm to your shoulder, on occasion, the locking block will fall out. Gravity seems to be a factor, as it only does it when holding the firearm parallel to the ground. And it only happens on occasion, not all the time. The block apparently slips out of the lever link. The channel for the screw that holds the link and the lever together must be worn out. This allows the link to go high enough (or low enough actually) for the locking block to pop out of the channel in the link and drop it out of the firearm. If you hold the gun upside down or sideways, its fine. But that kind of sucks if you want to actually shoot it. Is there a fix for this without having to scour the interwebs for a new level? Homesteadparts has one for $65 (ouch!). My pre-64 is a working gun, not a showroom collector's model... the bluing on the receiver and rings is gone, and the wood has seen better days. Is there a cheaper option then another "original" for too much money? Is there a fix, like something to cover the end of the link channel so the locking block won't pop out? I guess I could just duct tape the end, but that sounds like a really half-blanked way to fix it.

Rodney

Well I played around with it to see if I could figure out what conditions causes the locking bolt to fall out. It only happens when using the finger level to cock the hammer. The finger lever/link assembly pulls the locking bolt down too far when it is pushing the breech bolt back to cock the hammer (when it's levering back the hammer spring). Right at the half-cock position is when its extended enough to drop the locking bolt out of the receiver and finger level/link assembly. If my phone hadn't died on me, I would snap a photo of it so you could make sense of what I am talking about. It acts like the slot for the finger lever link screw that holds the finger lever and link together is too worn out; to long. Just long enough to let the link fall far enough that the locking bolt slides out of the channel, and then falls out of the receiver. So "I think" I need a new lever. But not being a gun smith or a machinist, my observations might be incorrect in my ignorance. I had to look up all the correct titles for the parts I'm talking about on leeroysramblings.com as he has a nice parts list and exploded view for the model 94 during the period mine was made. He apparently lives in this neck of the woods. His site is helpful.

Rodney

P.S. I love your profile pic netcarrier. I'll email you right now to pick your brain on this. From you profile pic, I take it you know a thing or seven about pre-64 model 94s.

tmp_7823-20150103_155008-1455721630.jpg

Had a couple of nice folks tell me it more than likely was the finger lever pin not in or not seated correctly. However, I checked it, and its in correctly. I took it out and put it back in just to make sure. The above photo shows where the locking bolt falls out of the rciever and link. - rodney

Update: We've narrowed it down to the lower tang being worn out. The little nubs that hold the locking bolt in place are shot. Now it's just a matter of fixing it somehow. Several folks have emailed or privet conv. me about it, and I am grateful for the help.

Rodney

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads