JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Winchester did at one time offer , through special order a "Short rifle "
That is a model 94 rifle with rifle style butt plate , sights , stocks and nose cap ...but with a 20 inch barrel...
Folks did like this configuration...but special order meant more money...so one can see rifles at times that were cut down to this length...
Andy
If you go to Winchester's current website, you'll see they've brought the "short rifle" option back.

Dean

The most logical and simplest explanation for this rifle to be in the condition it is currently in s that at some point in its 102 year life someone took a RIFLE (26" barrel length) and for some reason from damage to whim cut it down to where its at now. If it is at 19 7/8" as you say I would venture they hacksawed it off centering on a mark 20" from the bolt face to replicate a std. carbine. And once the facing of the cut (file work to remove saw marks and to perfectly square the muzzle) was finished it ended up at 19 7/8" They would have also had to cut down the magazine. A quality close up photo of the end of the magazine showing where the magazine support is located, The Muzzle, and front sight would go a long ways towards clearing this up. As to the effect on its value. Well to be blunt it is no longer a Collectors grade rifle. It is now an antique Shooter as such depending on if it has any special sights its value will be in the $600-800 range at best the same rifle unmolested would be North of $1000.00 IMHO

So here's an antique 94 Winchester RIFLE, with the 26" barrel....

1574970293861.png

...so if we could get a good pic or two of the end of ddighton35's rifle, we may be able to put this mystery to bed once and for all.

Dean
P.S. The gun pictured above, chambered in .25-35, is currently for sale. Asking price is $2100.

The gun pictured above, chambered in .25-35, is currently for sale. Asking price is $2100.
Interesting model with the half octagon barrel.
Too bad someone cut the stock and replaced the crescent buttplate with the 'shotgun' style.
Interestingly this was also done on my 100 year commemorative (see pic in above post) along with a re-stock but not being an 'original' per se it's not so much of an issue.

Measure the front site set back from the muzzle
Is the dove tail correctly done
you did not post a photo of the muzzle?

I have seen and bought many cut down "take down" winchesters
was common enough to do because these where dirt cheap 50 years ago

How does it shoot?
The 100 year comem?
If correct excellently.
I installed a Lyman globe front and with a Williams receiver peep its a tackdriver with 12 grains of Unique and 100-110 grain bullets.
Reality being what it is the shotgun style buttplate is much more practical for shooting than the crescent style - and more comfortable.
If you ever have an opportunity go shoot a 20" carbine with a crescent style buttplate and 170 grain full house ammo and you will no longer agree a .30-30 is 'low recoil' !

Last Edited:
Measure the front site set back from the muzzle
Is the dove tail correctly done
you did not post a photo of the muzzle?

I have seen and bought many cut down "take down" winchesters
was common enough to do because these where dirt cheap 50 years ago
I dont have a photo on my phone of it but from the dove tail to the end of the barrel is 3/4" an pretty sure this was never cute down I can take everyone that has owned this gun since it was bought brand new

Because I am interested in Winchesters I have included the pics below of my 1899 Mod 94 'Klondike' Sporting Rifle (26" W/O a saddle ring) to hopefully help this mystery.

This is the original muzzle finish & crown and it is exactly 15/16" from the CENTER of the dovetail to the end of the muzzle.

Another good test would be to 'mike' the end of the barrel since these barrels are tapered.
Mine measures .713 at the end of the muzzle.

I'll take a guess if the OPs rifle muzzle differs from this appearance or measurement it has been cut down

(Oh yea, I know this is NOT the original front sight - I am trying some different 'stuff' for a better sight picture and to maintain SOME originality!)
IMG_1758[1].JPG IMG_1756.JPG

IMG_1758[1].JPG

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top