JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I will not buy anymore Winchester Factory White Box .45 ACP!
I bought 500 rounds on a good sale several years ago. It shoots fine without any FTF.
However, it's the dirtiest ammo I've ever shot!
Only fired 30 rounds for fun after sighting in another pistol.
Cleaned my 1911 tonight and the patches looked like it had fired 300 rounds, not 30.
I suspect they use Win 231 powder, but not certain.
Whatever it is, I don't like it...but my Hoppe's #9 does.

I won't buy Winchester ammo anymore at least their consumer marketed stuff, because their quality control has gone to complete crap over the last 3 years. Every box I have gotten I had to toss 3-5 rounds due to improper bullet seating or case dinged so bad they cracked.

Their LE stuff at least seems to have better quality control.

Going to start reloading .45 ACP sometime.
Any powder recommendations?

W231! LOL I've never thought it was dirty? Unique seemed real dirty to me.

A guy at the range one day had a box-o-white that had three rounds that were seated WAY deep.

i don't buy factory ammo anymore..........Thanks to you and several others on NWFAs!

Are you still in town? If so what happened, couldn't get ride of the sectional so you decided to stay?

Hope all is well with you.

Mike

The .45ACP is fairly low pressure for a lot of powders out there, especially pushing light loads. In general, I've had the best luck with clays. I used to use green dot... was pretty dirty, same thing with hi-skor 700x. W231 and Titegroup perform better, but both of these are ball powders and tend to be dirty no matter what. Unique also doesn't perform too well as it's a magnum revolver powder. Stick with the faster burning flake powders, and you won't have any issues.

I have used Clays and HP-38 the HP-38 is the same as 231.
I find the HP-38 to be a little dirty but the clean up is easy I do a complete clean in 15 minutes. Wiith Clays I could twice as long.
The HP-38 meters very well.

I will not buy anymore Winchester Factory White Box .45 ACP!
I bought 500 rounds on a good sale several years ago. It shoots fine without any FTF.
However, it's the dirtiest ammo I've ever shot!
Only fired 30 rounds for fun after sighting in another pistol.
Cleaned my 1911 tonight and the patches looked like it had fired 300 rounds, not 30.
I suspect they use Win 231 powder, but not certain.
Whatever it is, I don't like it...but my Hoppe's #9 does.

Thinking it over I would rather shoot dirtier ammo made in the USA verse the junk sh%$ that gets imported! Besides Hoppe's is made in USA!

Just remember folks, ALL powders are "dirty". The individual granules are coated with graphite which serves as a burn rate modifier, lubricant to keep granules from sticking together, and as an "anti-static" agent to prevent unwanted incidents due to static discharges while handling.

Much of this graphite ends up in the barrel as it doesn't burn.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top