JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been looking for an older lever gun to round out my small collection. I have noticed many of the older Winchester 94's have the Williams aftermarket rear sight. Does this decrease the value of the rifle in any way? How difficult is it to return them to original factory configuration? I know some 94's were tapped at the factory and some were not, but I don't know which year(s) this was done.

I'm just trying to avoid overpaying.

Many thanks in advance

I have a pre-64 '94 in 32 Win Special and it has a fold down peep on the stock tang. I'm not sure its factory or not but I can it remember it being there before '64. It was my dad's and he never bought any accessories ever really, as a matter of fact, he had loaded and unloaded the ammo he had for it so much over the years, it pushed the bullets back in the cases (I bought a new box and 86'ed the old ones).

I'm not sure of exact manufacture date or any tapped holes it has but if you are interested, I could post some pics.

Hi @moose I know the kind of sight you're talking about. The Williams rear sight does not attach to the tang, but to the receiver. I wound up getting a good buy on a late 70's 94 at Ticklicker in Salem. This one has the standard rear leaf. Unfortunately it is missing the front hood, but I am currently scouring the internet for a cheap one.

I'd take this question over to the Winchester Forum. I've checked some old Catalogs and they don't show any peep sights being offered as Standard Equipment on the 94s. But before '68 you could order Factory Direct and I know Winchester offered lots of Services in the way of Sights.

I didn't worry about it when I bought mine. Mine is a 41 model with the Williams peep sight and it's definately a shooter and very accurate. As long as the rifle is in good shape and sight looks to be properly installed I wouldn't my worry about it.

The drilled and tapped Receiver came in about 1952 prior to that it could be ordered on either a rifle or a carbine. SO its very hard to tell if a properly done job is factory unless you are able to run the serial number by the museum records.

Just in passing I saw a Very Fine Example of the 94 complete with what was once called a Target Grade Tang Sight on one of the Tables at the WAC Gunshow this weekend. Maybe you should look into going.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top