JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
need some info on a old rifle i got from my dad. its a winchester 92 that he got in the early/mid 70's. history on it before then is unknown. its a saddle ring carbine and currently chambered in 44 mag with what looks like a marlin micro-groove type barrel on it by glancing down the bore. the rear tang is marked in three rows; "MODEL 1892", "-WINCHESTER-", "TRADE MARK" respectively. the serial number is odd to me as it is 4 digit, which would be first year production, but ends in the letters "SK". i can find no referance to what the "SK" designates.

I have had one credible source confirm that it is a winchester receiver as there was some question as to if it was a forgery or real. any other info available or knowledge would be greatly apreciated. just trying to track down the history on this old rifle.

*the photo with the serial number has the third digit edited out, just because i dont trust the internet*

thank you

top%20tang%20markings%202.jpg top%20tang%20markings.jpg side%20of%20receiver.jpg serial%20number%202%20edit.jpg

The gun has been buffed and refinished at one point. And 44mag did not exist until 1945 or 55 if I remember correctly. [There was a 44 WCF in the model 92]. So maybe when the 44 mag barrel was installed the gun was renumbered by the people converting it to 44 mag?

Winchester used letters in the serial number to denote a significant mechanical change. And some contract guns. But I don't know of any 92 model guns with letters?

In the 70's-80's the BIG Bore guns had a BB in the serial number. They also had a thicker receiver [Significant mechanical change].

So really. I don't know? I just wanted to give you my thoughts.

thanks for the heads up. knew that the tube wasnt stock and had to have come at a much later date, and the corners are quite rounded off on most edges like you noted. i have not found any others in my online searching with letters in the serial number like this, thats what has me baffled. do you think that it could have been buffed so heavily as to remove the original serial number?

thanks

Yes. Or removed completely during the refinish. Then reaplied by another source. Possible the folks rebarreling the gun.

There could have been a company in the fifties using Winchester 92 receivers to make there own 44mag guns. They then added there own in house SN# to denote and track there redesigned guns?

It's a possibility. Look at all the Bannerman specials back in the post war days.

You will never know until you find a like marked 92 with the back story.
And I know of none.

Again just a thought. Good luck.

Last Edited:
My neighbor down the street has a few guns he has rechambered. Might have been a 44-40 at one time ?
It seems it was,is common to bring the rifle 'up to date' for the cowboy action community

So what are you trying to find out about your put together rifle? Its not an original Winchester has no Winchester collectors value as such. Its most likely a one off gunsmith special built from parts. And has the value of a shooter.

Its a real Winchester receiver. I don't think any one would risk trying to copy Winchesters trademark the law suit would be pretty swift I think.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top