JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What can you all tell me about the above rifle? My Dad has one he bought in about 1979. Took it hunting maybe five times and perhaps has 50 rounds (at the outside) through it. Has been in a box for the last 22 years.

Wood stock, two magazines, standard sites, no scope. He is looking to sell but has no idea what it is worth. I am not familiar with long guns but volunteered to do some leg work.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Are you sure its a WINCHESTER and not a REMINGTON????????????

Unfortunately, as most everyone knows, a gun is only worth what you can get for it.

That being said, there are a number of online auctions that are currently selling the REMINGTON 742. Here is a list of three I quickly skimmed through,

Auctionarms.com
GunBroker.com
GunsAmerica.com

Almost all fell within the price of 300-500 dollars. Reaching 500 dollars, most have scopes. The rifles without a scope are in the 300-400 range.

This is NOT EXACT GUN DIGEST "values" this is going off of online auction prices, which tend to be and sell slightly higher than the price guides ever list them as.

I sold my Remington 742 30-06 a year ago, for $450... with a scope.

Hope this gives you a good starting point.

Jaybo,

You are correct...Remington. LOL. Thanks for the tip, it is appreciated. I will do a bit more leg work and let it go.