JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I figured I'd be dating myself {again}. It used to be a standard range practice round until semi's took the front seat ...made nice visible round holes in targets. It still shows up on the Winchester site, but would like to buy local if still possible. Haven't had any luck so far.

acf592e.jpg

Yep. They do make nice holes in paper. Semi wadcutter will also make a nice clean cut hole too if you can't find the full wadcutters.

Does anyone local still stock 148gr .38 special wad cutter ? {flat nose, super match, midrange, target} Used to be the standard range ammo back in the day {er...decade}
Yes they still do.

Here is one site.
Fiocchi 38LA Shooting Dynamics 38 Special 148 GR Lead Wadcutter (Box, 50 Total Rounds)
About $0.297 per round or here
United Nations Ammo Company (UNAC)
About $0.249 per round or here
https://redriverreloading.com/ammo/...special-148gr-match-hb-wadcutter-lead-50.html
About $0.324 per round or here
Prvi Partizan - 38 Special, 50 Rd, FMJ 130 Grain Ammo | SGAmmo
About $0.25 per round and I know it's not 148gr or WC but it's 158gr SWC and will still make nice holes. Plus SGAMMO has a bunch of other types and calibers etc. I also realize it's not local but it's what you want.

Does anyone local still stock 148gr .38 special wad cutter ? {flat nose, super match, midrange, target} Used to be the standard range ammo back in the day {er...decade}
I have some I've been meaning to let go.. I think it's Winchester SuperMatch.. if I don't remember to PM you tomorrow, remind me if you're interested.
edit, I've got seven boxes, SE Portland

Last Edited:
148 Hollow Base Wadcutter was the standard target load for 38 special.
Smith and Wesson produced a semi-auto bullseye target pistol that would only
shoot the 148 HBWC. Model 52 .38 Master.
I use to load these and the 148 Bevel Base Wadcutter and
158 semi-wadcutter. I recommend you try reloading them. 38/357
is a great cartridge to start reloading. ;)
SL-0315-4.jpg
upload_2017-10-19_3-11-39.jpeg

Just tells me I need to get back to Loading and Shooting again. My Smith and Wesson Model 52s need some exercise. But I'm Three weeks and a Wake-up some the next - and hopefully last - surgery on my Ankle. It's been a very long 17 months since I broke it and the Bed Time is getting very OLD.

148 Hollow Base Wadcutter was the standard target load for 38 special.
Smith and Wesson produced a semi-auto bullseye target pistol that would only
shoot the 148 HBWC. Model 52 .38 Master.
I use to load these and the 148 Bevel Base Wadcutter and
158 semi-wadcutter. I recommend you try reloading them. 38/357
is a great cartridge to start reloading. ;)
View attachment 398872
View attachment 398870
Love the Model 52, never owned one, but a fellow at the club I belonged to would let me shoot his... That thing was soooo sweeeetttt...

We had some M52's in the National Guard armory for the shooting team. Probably the most fun semi auto I ever fired. They are a gem. I have never fired anything that compared. The wadcutter bullets can even raise your scores because of the perfect full diameter holes they make compared with round nose bullets.

The first one I ever shot had been issued to me as part of the Southern Command Rifle and Pistol Team. I got a Model 41 issued that was NIB, 10 magazines and a brick of Ammo. I was told to "Go break this in." and I Loaded up all 10 Magazines, put up a Target at the 25 yard line and proceeded to empty the Magazines rapid fire. I was shocked when I walked out to the Target and had only one round in the 9 ring! I feel in Love with the Model 41 that minute. I now own more than one, I'm happy to say.

Just tells me I need to get back to Loading and Shooting again. My Smith and Wesson Model 52s need some exercise. But I'm Three weeks and a Wake-up some the next - and hopefully last - surgery on my Ankle. It's been a very long 17 months since I broke it and the Bed Time is getting very OLD.
Ok throw down let's see the pictures of your 52's.:confused::confused:I am jealous. This has become a
model 52 lovefest thread.:p I am thinking of what guns to sell to buy a model 52 and a
model 41. AAAAAH :eek::eek::eek:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top