JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What’s the best use of the prokextiles

• Sell

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Load up for 30.06

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Load up for .308

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
Reactions
I stumbled across a box of Winchester .30 ca 150 gr silvertip projectiles this weekend at my parents house. I don't know much about silvertipped bullets so I'm not sure what they're best used for.

Asked my dad about them and he said he grabbed them from my grandpa's place years ago.

He's think of loading them for deer in his 30.06. I want him to give them to me for my .308. Saving to sit around and collect dust doesn't appeal to him.

What's the best use for this vintage (maybe) projectile:

FF909C9C-101F-4BEB-AB9D-24DA89D99065.jpeg

A classic big game bullet that earned itself a reputation for reliability. Load 'em up in either caliber you referenced. You may also find they were famous for accuracy too. Winchester's flagship bullet for years. The "Silver" tip (aluminum?) is actually a shroud to protect the lead from deforming in carrying, or cycling through an action. All that I have shot were from factory ammunition.

They've been waiting in that box for the opportunity to fly and kill.

I used to use them many years ago with excellent deer results, the only draw back depends on how you rotate or use up the ammo. Left residing in the magazine for any amount of shots, the recoil tend to flatten the tips some on those still in the magazine, not that I had a problem with that, but the looks could be curious. It's why I changed to poly tips. They still are just as effective today as some of the new stuff.

My vote is for 30-06 because they're your dad's so your dad should get to use them in his rifle. Maybe help him connect with his own father in a way

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top