JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I need to get some help from people here that know way more than I do about older lever action carbine rifles. First this thing looks really bad. Needs a new stock and well heck wait until I can post pictures.

Anyway, the point is also should it be restored or left as is? Also where to get restored? Owner wants it to work. I will post pictures here in about an hour or so.

Any and all help is greatly appreciative. I know that it's stamped in 30 wcf on the barrel.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
image.jpg image.jpg

What's the serial number? It's pretty well off the collectors list. So what you do to it doesn't matter to its value. Based on the shot of the bore it's not even a shooter. It would make a good wall hanger if you have a place for it.

i think that think looks awesome and id leave it as is.they are fairly easy to take the action apart. id oil it up and maybe get a borescope and look at the entire length of the barrel inside.

What's the serial number? It's pretty well off the collectors list. So what you do to it doesn't matter to its value. Based on the shot of the bore it's not even a shooter. It would make a good wall hanger if you have a place for it.
Not my rifle but I don't know if they plan on it even working. Number is 413129. I think he just wants it to have a non broken stock.

Good idea and I am not sure what he plans on doing with it. Last I knew it worked but who knows what decade that was! :rolleyes::)
an 1894 is a "workin rifle" and thats why i think it looks awesome. i have a pre 64 that is a little rough and i dig it.

dad has a post 64 made in 1974 my grandpa bought him when he was 14. that has exactly 10 rounds thru it. he still has the original box of ammo he bought. its 100% mint.

It was made in 1907.
I would liberally soak some Kroil down the barrel and brush/swab it out a couple of days later and then take a look down the bore.

A period stock in decent condition will cost as much as the rifle in its present condition is worth. I would instead fix the stock and keep the rifle whole.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjWpOr5o8zgAhWJilQKHXd-CTQQFjAAegQIBhAC&url=http://oldguns.net/sn_php/winmods.htm&usg=AOvVaw3zZ3SExQUjuPIGsHWKK72p

WINCHESTER DATES OF MANUFACTURE

Winchester Model 1894 (Mod 94):
Covering numbers: 1 - 5103249.

The year of manufacture for serial number 413129 is 1907.

SEE: Many sites(copied from others) on the internets give incorrect information on dating 94s.

Not trying to create a stink here, but THIS SITE (that I referenced above) has the most reliable information on dating 94s, other than a letter directly from the Cody museum.

I'd clean the stock ( Then re-oil ) and lightly give the metal a rub with oil and a bronze wool pad....
I also second the idea of Kroil down the bore...it may clean up a lot of "sins" of the past....I also have seen many "bad" bores turn out to be decent shooters.

Two part epoxy and a pin or two could work on the stock crack...Heck even glass bedding material may work as well...
Andy

Last Edited:
In regards to the serial number...
In my experience with many Winchesters , the serial number is only a clue or guide as to when the receiver was made...often there is a two number date stamp under the barrel near the receiver...and this number / date is for when the rifle was actually assembled....This can be years apart in difference when compared to the serial number.
Andy

I found this 1927 '94 in a basements hidden stud wall compartment after blowing cellulose insulation from outside.
The new owner of the house just handed it to me and said that she hated guns.

win 94 006.JPG

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top