JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As to an entirely different question, "What would I do with the gun were it mine?"

Well now! That's a horse of a different color!

With no family ties to the gun, were it MINE, I'd probably have that stock repaired to functioning structure, clean 'er up and she'd be at the top of the list for the guns I take to Montana in the Fall. I'd go kill something with it.

But that's just me.

As to an entirely different question, "What would I do with the gun were it mine?"

Well now! That's a horse of a different color!

With no family ties to the gun, were it MINE, I'd probably have that stock repaired to functioning structure, clean 'er up and she'd be at the top of the list for the guns I take to Montana in the Fall. I'd go kill something with it.

But that's just me.
Story is that it dropped two deer with one round

Stories: The very best and most fun the owner of that gun can do is document EVERYTHING right now.

!) Write down and preserve the Grandfather's name that owned the gun.

2) Send to the Cody Museum ( I think their going rate is just shy of $100) the serial number and request a beautiful document that tells you when that rifle left the factory and what extras it may have had (that Marbles sight could have been ordered from the factory!). If you are VERY lucky they can tell you where it was sent.

3) If second hand holder of the gun (this means you, AKO) heard a story, then somebody needs to go record EVERY story about Grandpa and his hunting stories, etc. Be real cool if nothing he ever shot with it wasn't a "Revenooer" comin' after him. (IRS agent heavy on bootlegging during Prohibition). Damn thing coulda been a civilian defense weapon against the Feds.

Tossed all that in for the TACTARDS.

Anyway, with close and easy ties to people still living that knew the guy that owned the gun, DOCUMENT IT ALL!

You then fulfill your duty to the gun and the man that owned it. You also involve your family in a heritage project. Worlds better than any DNA mail order scam to find out where you came from. The owner has a precious gift here. Researching this gun can tell you a lot about Grandpa.

I just started a restore on a gun just like this. Attached are some photos of what I'm up against. It was inherited and the owner wanted to be able to hang Dad's old gun in the den as a conversation piece. I'm cleaning it up and treating the corrosion. No intent on turning it into a really nice looking modern day shooter with new bluing or stock etc. When I work on stuff like this I take it completely apart as that's the only way to ensure you don't have a bunch of rusting parts hanging on the wall. The bore is horrible, but safe to shoot - will be interesting to see what sort of accuracy it gives. I enjoy resurrecting oldies.
1894 butt plate (Winchester).JPG 1894 buttstock (Winchester).JPG 1894 front barrel band (Winchester).JPG 1894 mag spring & follower (Winchester).JPG 1894 magazine disassembled (Winchester).JPG 1894 muzzle (Winchester).JPG 1894 rear barrel band (Winchester).JPG 1894 mag tube & forearm (Winchester).JPG

Just a thought, I love classic lever guns and have a few dandies. JES Reboring in Cottage Grove, OR. I sent him a Marlin 336 30-30 I had with a bad bore and for a very nominal price, made it a 38-55. It's a straight shooting thumper. I reblued it and it looks and shoots awesome. He could also make it a .32 SPL or possibly one of his calibers. You can mail direct and he can mail straight back.
You can fix your stock or by one from Boyd's. It's a cool gun and could be made into a great shooter without the expense of rebarreling and messing with the front sight.
The high nickel steel in yours looks good. Do your clean up and I would Rebore, do the stock repairs and go shoot a deer or bear. A wall hanging good shooter. JES just reforestation chamber check and head spaces. The 38-55 was the parent cartridge for the 30 WCF and 32 SPL so it's a straight forward job. He has a website and if you call leave him a message. He's good on calling back.

Last Edited:
Not my rifle but I don't know if they plan on it even working. Number is 413129. I think he just wants it to have a non broken stock.
According to the serial number you posted, that gun was made in 1906.
I am one to leave things as is, and that gun has a ton of character just as it sits.
I would use some oil and a rag and rub off the rust. If the gun isn't working, get it working, but otherwise, I love it just like that.

Dean

According to the serial number you posted, that gun was made in 1906.
I am one to leave things as is, and that gun has a ton of character just as it sits.
I would use some oil and a rag and rub off the rust. If the gun isn't working, get it working, but otherwise, I love it just like that.

Dean
I have been oiling it every now and then... it looks like it would shoot.. I am going to see if it does next couple of weeks... I am going to take it to a repair shop in Shelton just to make sure that it's going to be ok to shoot a round through it! Keep you posted on the outcome!

You need to decide whether this rifle has enough sentimental value for you to put some money into it, and if so, how much.

New wood is available here:

Winchester Levergun Stocks

There are a few gunsmiths around this part of the US who can do things like putting a barrel liner into your existing barrel to give you brand new rifling and added strength. And of course, you can always find someone to re-do the metal finish, even the color casing. All of that costs money, but if you really love the rifle maybe you will want to go that route. I would clean it up as best it can be, as others suggest, and see what you have. Then I'd decide how much further to go. Maybe just a stock repair, or maybe new wood. New wood would call for a re-bluing at a minimum. People can be found to fit your new wood for you, or if you have the time and patience it's not that hard to do yourself.

I'd clean it up and see what you have. I went through that process myself with my old Remington #1 rolling block.
RRB Restore - 19.jpg RRB Restore - 10.jpg RRB Restore - 11.jpg

I have been oiling it every now and then... it looks like it would shoot.. I am going to see if it does next couple of weeks... I am going to take it to a repair shop in Shelton just to make sure that it's going to be ok to shoot a round through it! Keep you posted on the outcome!
Thanks AK.
I forgot, you're a Kidnap county neighbor, too.
We should get together and pop a few rounds though that one.
I can bring along my dad's 94 and you can see what shooting through a pistol scope is like.
I think I still have a box of old Federal Hi-Shok ammo sitting down on the loading bench.
Look forward to seeing how this project turns out.

Dean

Fantastic rifle. As a historian and proponent of family history I say do enough work to ensure the firearm is functional, safe, and won't corrode...and then put it away for special occasions. It's great to take out a family heirloom and shoot it once or twice a year.

Stories: The very best and most fun the owner of that gun can do is document EVERYTHING right now.

!) Write down and preserve the Grandfather's name that owned the gun.

2) Send to the Cody Museum ( I think their going rate is just shy of $100) the serial number and request a beautiful document that tells you when that rifle left the factory and what extras it may have had (that Marbles sight could have been ordered from the factory!). If you are VERY lucky they can tell you where it was sent.

3) If second hand holder of the gun (this means you, AKO) heard a story, then somebody needs to go record EVERY story about Grandpa and his hunting stories, etc. Be real cool if nothing he ever shot with it wasn't a "Revenooer" comin' after him. (IRS agent heavy on bootlegging during Prohibition). Damn thing coulda been a civilian defense weapon against the Feds.

Tossed all that in for the TACTARDS.

Anyway, with close and easy ties to people still living that knew the guy that owned the gun, DOCUMENT IT ALL!

You then fulfill your duty to the gun and the man that owned it. You also involve your family in a heritage project. Worlds better than any DNA mail order scam to find out where you came from. The owner has a precious gift here. Researching this gun can tell you a lot about Grandpa.
My rolling block was bought new about 1875. It belonged to my GGrandfather, born 1825, and was handed down to my grandfather, born 1866, then my father, born 1902. I would have loved to have had the opportunity to conserve it as it was, had it been in any kind of condition, but it was basically a basket case. Someone had steel wooled the metal, the buttstock was burned, and the forestock was missing. The bore looked like the inside of a sewer pipe. Under those circumstances, a complete restore was the only real choice.

Just a thought, I love classic lever guns and have a few dandies. JES Reboring in Cottage Grove, OR.

Thanks for that information. I had my rolling block barrel lined and chambered for .357 Mag at Delta Gun Shop/Clearwater Reboring up in Colville, WA. Jim Dubell was the owner of Delta Gunshop and Clearwater Reboring. He did great work and did a complete restoration of my rolling block. Unfortunately in June of 2015 Jim Dubell underwent successful back surgery but later died suddenly. I have not been able to get any additional information but the gun world lost a good man and a master rifle maker. The family closed the gun shop apparently because no one else could do what Jim did. It's nice to find a shop that can do that kind of work only a few minutes down I-5 from me.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top