JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well I have an 1892 Receiver for 32-20, that I have slowly been gathering parts for off eBay for the last several months, still looking for a stock and barrel, which got me thinking, what if I built a Form 1 SBR 1892 with a 14 inch barrel.

Any objections here? Any reason it won't work? I've reached out to Winchester barrels and still awaiting a response, and other barrel recommendations would be appreciated.

Would I go to Bubba hell, or am I absolved since it is a not a complete rifle to begin with?

Does tdawg stand for "Tapco dawg"? :eek:
Just teasing.

Actually I would not hesitate to do that Form 1 project. It isn't like you destroyed the history in an existing intact 1892. Secondly you could always reconfigure it later into a period correct piece if you wanted to. I'm curious how much it will cost you to find all of the necessary parts.

Where did the receiver come from?

Not sure, but I have not seen any lever action receivers sold, by themselves, as an 80% kit or as "other" or pistol. So my assumption is that this is a rifle receiver and therefore, yes, it is a rifle (barrel or no barrel) and therefore you would need to submit a form 1/etc. to be legal with a barrel shorter than 16" as it would be an SBR.

Now if it started off as a "pistol" (e.g., a "Mare's Leg") then putting a short barrel on it would probably be legal without the form 1?

But re-reading the OP you are not asking about the legality?

In that case, I am not qualified to answer, but personally I don't give a fig what other people think with regard to whether I have "bubba'd" something - so I would say, do what you want.

Where did the receiver come from?

Not sure, but I have not seen any lever action receivers sold, by themselves, as an 80% kit or as "other" or pistol. So my assumption is that this is a rifle receiver and therefore, yes, it is a rifle (barrel or no barrel) and therefore you would need to submit a form 1/etc. to be legal with a barrel shorter than 16" as it would be an SBR.

Now if it started off as a "pistol" (e.g., a "Mare's Leg") then putting a short barrel on it would probably be legal without the form 1?

This is a receiver taken from an 1892 that was parted out. I bought it from Homestead Guns shop out of Arizona.

Does tdawg stand for "Tapco dawg"? :eek:
Just teasing.

Actually I would not hesitate to do that Form 1 project. It isn't like you destroyed the history in an existing intact 1892. Secondly you could always reconfigure it later into a period correct piece if you wanted to. I'm curious how much it will cost you to find all of the necessary parts.
My thoughts, beyond the engraving that would have to be done on the receiver for my trust.
I am almost tempted to make a new trust just for this that reads "In John Browning We Trust"

All told I'll probably be into this project about $2k by the time I have my smith finish the semi inlet stock, and then of course I'd have to install the barrel myself.

.32-20 is one of those calibers you can load down just enough to not need hearing protection. Fun to shoot and you are correct sir, you don't want to be at the business end of one of those.