Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Winchester 1890

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by Marlin 1888, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Marlin 1888

Marlin 1888 Tigard Member

I would like information on two plugged holes in the left side of the receiver on 1890 Winchesters. What were they for? See the photo. Any information appreciated.

2. Box13

Box13 Beavercreek Member

Id guess they were for some kind of add on sight or scope mount...

3. Marlin 1888

Thanks for the reply.

4. OcelotZ3

OcelotZ3 Corvallis Active Member

I believe that all or nearly all had these holes, so they are original. I just checked mine and it has the same two holes.

I saw a posting regarding what the holes were for but can't remember where I saw it.

5. Marlin 1888

If you remember where you saw the information, please let me know.
    Thanks, Bruce

6. Marlin 1888

I am still looking for information on these plugged holes and any photos with the staple installed.
    I have been told the holes were for tie down teather at shooting galleries which looks like a large u shaped staple.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  7. OcelotZ3

OcelotZ3 Corvallis Active Member

From a gentleman named Two Ponies, who loves 1890 Winchesters (web page: http://twoponies.home.mindspring.com/)

"I would suspect you are looking at Second model 1890's that have these spots. They are pins that hold the channel bar for the action slide on the inside of the receiver. They were eliminated with the internal changes that were made on the third model receivers. If and when they loosed up some they look like they are loose and form circles. They can also work clear out and then leave a hole in the left side of the receiver near the top. </:)"

This was originally posted on Rimfire Central back in 2006 I think. I started a new thread there and they pointed me to the older thread.

8. Marlin 1888

Thank you. I will did my 1890 out of the safe and check this out.
    Thanks again.
    Bruce