JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I believe that all or nearly all had these holes, so they are original. I just checked mine and it has the same two holes.

I saw a posting regarding what the holes were for but can't remember where I saw it.

I am still looking for information on these plugged holes and any photos with the staple installed.
I have been told the holes were for tie down teather at shooting galleries which looks like a large u shaped staple.

Last Edited:
From a gentleman named Two Ponies, who loves 1890 Winchesters (web page: <broken link removed> )

"I would suspect you are looking at Second model 1890's that have these spots. They are pins that hold the channel bar for the action slide on the inside of the receiver. They were eliminated with the internal changes that were made on the third model receivers. If and when they loosed up some they look like they are loose and form circles. They can also work clear out and then leave a hole in the left side of the receiver near the top. </:)"

This was originally posted on Rimfire Central back in 2006 I think. I started a new thread there and they pointed me to the older thread.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top