JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm considering buying a 2 3/4" original Winchester 1887 Lever-Action 12 gauge Shotgun. I would like to be able to use it. However, I wonder about the safety of doing so.

How strong and how well manufactured were they? Should I be concerned about failure due to strength or other metalurgical considerations?

Thanks

Norinco currently makes a 12 Gauge replica of the Winchester Model 1887 I'm pretty sure. I think they can be had for around $450, although I haven't seen one in a long time.

Old blackpowder guns should never be fire with modern loads

That's a bit broad of a generality. Probably a good idea with shotguns, but there are thousands of rifles and pisols such as 45-70 and 45 Long Colt made in the blackpowder era still being shot safely with smokeless.

Shotguns with cast steel or damascus barrels are an issue, but as others have said, load with blackpowder. The chamber length consideration is important. If too long a shell is inserted, the opening crimp fold fits up into the barrel instead of the chamber. This causes a major restriction and likely blowup, regardless of powder. If your chambers are short, you can buy full length brass from Midway. Without any crimp, if they fit-they work.

That's a bit broad of a generality. Probably a good idea with shotguns, but there are thousands of rifles and pisols such as 45-70 and 45 Long Colt made in the blackpowder era still being shot safely with smokeless.

Shotguns with cast steel or damascus barrels are an issue, but as others have said, load with blackpowder. The chamber length consideration is important. If too long a shell is inserted, the opening crimp fold fits up into the barrel instead of the chamber. This causes a major restriction and likely blowup, regardless of powder. If your chambers are short, you can buy full length brass from Midway. Without any crimp, if they fit-they work.

Modern steels and smokeless loads are a far cry from what was available back then. Better safe than sorry

I can't believe I am saying that Blitzkrieg is exactly right on this issue.

The 1887 Winchester Lever action shotgun was designed for Blackpowder. And must have been ONLY suited to blackpowder since in 1901 when Smokeless Shotgun shells started being more available they redesigned the Lever action shotgun to handle the new Smokless loads and renamed it the Model 1901.

The reproductions are made from very different alloys and may even have minor design improvements to to strenghten them for the modern shells the makers know they will be fed.

But even back in the day Winchester knew the 1887 was not up to smokless ammo and the higher pressures it created so they changed the firearm to not risk accidents.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top