JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I used plenty W231 for 9mm loads.

It's said (by some).......that it's the same thing as HP-38. But, lawyers. So, I'm saying........use only the data in your manual.

Aloha, Mark
If you check Hodgdon's reloading data website, you will find identical load data and velocities for HP-38 and W-231 regardless of which cartridge you look up. I would say they are one and the same. They may have been different way back when, but now that they are both distributed by Hodgdon, the only difference is the label on the container. (Even the containers are identical.)

Count me as another one who uses W231 in .45ACP and .38 Special.

As far as the powders being the same, it was a case of one company buying from another and rebranding the product with their own product name, brand and label.

Even though IMR, Hodgon and Winchester Powder are all under the same ownership now, they decided to maintain separate brands for identical powder because some consumers get very attached to individual brands.

There are other powder combos that are identical, I could post up a list if anyone cares.

I hope this is helpful.

Used it for decades in .38 Special, .357 Mag, 44 Mag, 9X19 and .45 ACP target loads. After all of that time I finally ran out of the two kegs I had of it and was forced to buy another powder as it was hard to get at the time. Easy to meter and one of the cleanest burning target powders I have ever used.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top