Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Willamette National Cemetery - no guns....

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by timbernet, May 28, 2010.

1. timbernet

timbernet Boring, Oregon Member

I went to Willamette National Cemetery this evening after work to visit the grave of my Grandfather (WWII Vet) and my grandmother (who passed away this past February) (wanted to get in before the great Memorial day rush)

First thing I see driving through the gate -- a GREAT big sign saying "No weapons or firearms allowed" :confused: What?

These men and women fought for our constitutional rights and we aren't allowed to carry? I wonder if having a CHL lets you "ignore" that sign (and I mean legally ignore the sign, not just "concealed means concealed")?

It was wet up there, but with the American Flag at every grave --- beautiful....

:flag:

2. matt_w

matt_w Hillsboro, OR Active Member

Concealed means concealed

:flag::flag:

3. U201491

U201491 Well-Known Member

That IS the Best answer there is.

It is really funny. I have had a carry permit since I reached age 21, back in the 60's when they were paper permits that were firearm specific. (permits were given for an individual firearm) There are more restrictions now since the current CHL program (must issue) was passed/ And even more intensified since 9-11.
    Yep... concealed is concealed...........

4. irehog66

irehog66 SE Portland Member

Matt is absolutely correct. I had the ocassion to question "the sign" before.

Apparently some of our fallen's brothers on rare ocassion bring their own memorabilia including things like M1s, bayonets, and the like.

Anywhere in middle America these items showing up on Memorial day in a MILITARY CEMETARY would not rouse any suspicions - but here our veterans are quickly labeled SUSPECTS.

Very sad!

5. Bam

Bam Portland Member

Isn't Willamette technically a federal facility? In other words... one of the few places CHL holders can't legally carry.

If it is treated the same as national forest/park facilities, than carrying on the grounds is ok, just not in any buildings containing federal employees.

6. timbernet

timbernet Boring, Oregon Member

Good point, the statute reads:

Yay for special treatment of federal workers :(

7. ZachS

ZachS Eugene/PDX Active Member

I worked a couple of years for an unpopular federal agency, and I was glad to be in a gun-free zone behind armed guards and metal detectors.

Of course, I was more afraid of my creepy disgruntled co-workers than I was of angry citizens, but then again I wasn't working at the front desk... :paranoid:

8. swoop

swoop Milwaukie, Oregon Well-Known Member

I was up there last night to visit my dad's grave and saw that sign at the gate. Don't remember seeing it before...oop's to late to turn back, and concealed is just that. I was thinking that my Colt 1911 would be with me when I'm planted up there some day. How's that gonna work? :confused:

9. CEF1959

CEF1959 Willamette Valley, Oregon New Member

Maybe the Feds need a preemption statute -- Only Congress can regulate firearms possession on federal property.

Thoughts go out this weekend to all those who have served and the families that have made that service possible. Some have sacrificed more than others, but all have sacrificed. And we owe our thanks to all.

10. U201491

U201491 Well-Known Member

Hmm, Myself and my wife plan to be there someday and I want to be burried with my favorite 45 ........<G>
    Wonder if they will make me put it in a lock box :-\
    Yes that is a very beautiful place.

11. ZachS

ZachS Eugene/PDX Active Member

A lockbox should be ok as long as you also have the key... pretty sure you'll be able to open it in time should anybody try to get in... ;)

12. OcelotZ3

OcelotZ3 Corvallis Active Member

Was up there yesterday. At the entrance to the restroom it said something like "For your safety no guns, knives or weapons".

What?? "For MY safety"????

As if anyone who wanted to inflict harm on me would obey the sign... Sheesh.

There was also a sign that said "no jogging". Guess what we saw on our way up to the top...

13. Sodbuster

Sodbuster Beaverton, OR Chief Cook/Bottle Washer

I've been wondering, since the SCOTUS threw down DC's law (Federal Enclave) and said that applied to all Federal lands, how that would apply to other areas?

Dang, people and their logic. (smile) Just a thought. I went to see my dad this last Monday. Must have missed the sign.

14. TCOV

TCOV OLYMPIC PENINSULA Active Member

The sign may have been put up by an administrator who did not have the authority to do so and did not know that. Our local public hospital has the no gun picture with the slash across it even though in Washington state they are not allowed to do so. Some Olympic National Park trailheads still have the old no guns signs, just haven't been removed yet. Concealed is concealed.

15. m1gunr

m1gunr Tacoma Member

Please cite and reference why they can't.....

16. TCOV

TCOV OLYMPIC PENINSULA Active Member

State Preemtion. Revised Code of Washington RCW 9.41.290 generaly does not allow local government and public facilities to make their own firearms rules. The code lists where firearms can be restricted and generaly includes jail facilities, K thru 12 schools, restricted mental health areas of hospitals and court rooms. Except for schools the common areas of these facilities are not restricted and it appears a CPL holder can carry in an otherwise restricted sports stadium. I have no experience with that but the RCW seems to say that.

17. Partsproduction

Partsproduction Tillamook Oregon Active Member

It's yours, you can do what you want with what is yours, but what a waste.