Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Will new NFA gun trusts be declined . . .?

Discussion in 'NFA Weapon Discussion' started by djabby, Sep 8, 2014.

1. djabby

djabby Redmond, Or. Member

Just got off the phone with a local gun dealer who told me that about three weeks ago he received an email from ATF which said that they were currently questioning the validity of NFA trusts. They claim that current wording only allows transfer to a "person", rather than another entity. They did not say so in the email but it was obvious that they were considering not approving future trusts at some point using these grounds. Any comments or further insight?

2. Norm0931

Norm0931 Hillsboro, OR Sgt. Sheep Silver Vendor 2016 Volunteer

I work at a class 3 dealer and I have an account on the eforms website and I've not seen or heard anything like this.

3. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

A trust is legally considered a person.

4. PDXSparky

PDXSparky Keizer / Hillsboro Well-Known Member

A friend of a friend's second cousin heard that suppressors will be removed from the the NFA act. No more $200 tax stamp required.

That's about as believable as what the local dealer told you, unless he has actual proof to show you.

5. waltermitty

waltermitty seattle Active Member

wouldn't that prompt for finger prints and photos during the transfer stage?

6. Martini_Up

Martini_Up NW USA Well-Known Member

the way the NFA is written, Gun Trusts are not going away. It would literally take an act of congress.

Norm0931 likes this.
  7. Norm0931

They've talked about requiring all trustees to submit photos and fingerprints. Like Martini said though, a bill would have to make it through Congress changing the law for them to get rid of trusts.

8. djabby

djabby Redmond, Or. Member

"They did not say so in the email but it was obvious that they were considering not approving future trusts at some point using these grounds."

9. Modeler

Modeler Molalla, Oregon Soccer Fan

"They did not say so in the email but it was obvious that they were considering not approving future trusts at some point using these grounds."

Hey, I can bold, italicize and underline too!

aquariumjunky and Stomper like this.
  10. Doc In UPlace

Doc In UPlace Tacoma-ish Well-Known Member

My cat thinks the NFA Trusts are likely to continue. But she does allow for the possibility of adding prints pictures and CLEO sign-off on every trust member as though they were for a single individual.

11. usagi

usagi Redmond Well-Known Member

your local gun dealer did not receive an email from the atf.

your local gun dealer read this article, or heard a mangled version of it second or third hand and got confused:
    http://blog.princelaw.com/2014/05/1...or-manufacture-of-new-machineguns-for-trusts/

12. Norm0931

They actually approved and almost immediately denied several form 1 MGs. There is a thread on arf about it. One guy got a call telling him to mail his stamp back. He is currently seeking legal council to see if that's legal for BATFE to actually do.