JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hello, I live in Vancouver, WA and travel to Portland, OR regularly.

From what I've heard OR won't recognize a WA permit? So does that mean I will need two permits? Or is there a better solution?

Thanks!

Yes, you will need both and may as well get your Utah as well. The three give the most bang for the buck and cover a large number of states.

Yes, you will need both and may as well get your Utah as well. The three give the most bang for the buck and cover a large number of states.

While I agree with this, you would need to take a handgun course that Utah will recognize (I believe) and then you need to fill out the paperwork and go down to have the police department for help with fingerprinting before mailing it all off to them.

I went thru the whole process up until going in for the fingerprinting and then after a long debate, I decided the chances of me traveling outside OR & WA was very slim and not worth maintaining a Utah permit.

For both OR & WA you should be able to get your permit within 6-8 weeks.

WA does NOT require any prior classes - just don't be a felon.

OR DOES require a prior class - either 2 or 4 hours and the certificate you get at the end MUST say "handgun" education/training etc. Hunters safety classes do not count.

As others have said, yes. Its not difficult for a Washington resident to get a OR card. I got mine at a booth set up at the gunshow through Columbia County. I would do it through them rather than Multnomah/PDX

While I agree with this, you would need to take a handgun course that Utah will recognize (I believe) and then you need to fill out the paperwork and go down to have the police department for help with fingerprinting before mailing it all off to them.

I went thru the whole process up until going in for the fingerprinting and then after a long debate, I decided the chances of me traveling outside OR & WA was very slim and not worth maintaining a Utah permit.

For both OR & WA you should be able to get your permit within 6-8 weeks.

WA does NOT require any prior classes - just don't be a felon.

OR DOES require a prior class - either 2 or 4 hours and the certificate you get at the end MUST say "handgun" education/training etc. Hunters safety classes do not count.

For my OR I did an online course that qualified and took less than an hour to complete. It was recommended by the issuing Sheriff

Yep, until Oregon becomes less radical they wont recognize any other outside CHL. Just file for Oregons and be done with it.. I know it sucks, but its the only "legal" option.

Just a thought for anyone doing these interstate Conceals, remember laws of carry and where vary state to state even and in some cases locally.

I think WA doesn't recognize OR CHLs either - right?

WA does recognize OR. EDIT - I am wrong.

However, IF you are a WA resident and get an OR permit - it is not valid in WA. WA residents have to have both.

My understanding is that Oregonians only need the OR permit. Edit - also wrong.

-------------

I was confused.

Utah is reciprocal to WA - except if you live in WA, at which point you need a WA permit.

IF you live in OR, you can get a Utah permit and that will allow you to carry in WA without having to get a WA permit.

Last Edited:
Most places that I have seen offering a UT class, will do the gambit - photos and prints. If not, then keep looking.

If you take the UT class, it is accepted for Oregon's requirements. The class not the permit.

I recommend you get the OFF book - currently out of print being updated for the new laws like 941. http://www.oregonfirearms.org/

In the mean time, remember that without a permit you are subject to the County and City laws throughout Oregon. So going to Clackamas is one thing, Beaverton another, Wilsonville a third and Portland - why would you go to Portland.

@serulin

Handgunlaw.us

http://www.oregonfirearms.org/chl-central

<broken link removed>carry.com

<broken link removed>concealedcarry.com

https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/

I just put a couple a flags on my Pinto and roll like a boss.

7060553-33263002.jpg

just kidding

7060553-33263002.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR