JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The current panic on gun laws has inflated the price on semi-auto rifles 2.5 - 3 x's their previous value. Will we ever seen those prices return to previous levels?

I'm of the opinion that while things will settle down a bit, regardless of what happens in the other Washington, these prices are here to stay. After Y2k and several "End of the World" prophesies the market has always been flooded with all sorts of stuff people bought. Long-Term Food, camping gear, etc. But this looks different. I don't think that people are going to be willing to take a bath on the gun items they bought any time soon. And even if no new laws are passed, the threat of this will be in people's minds for some time to come.

Eventually Demand will drop off, but I doubt that prices will. What about you? Will things look different a year from now? Or will AK-47's from Century Firearms still be selling at $1,200.00?

I heard the same questions four years ago, yeah, prices went back down, but not to what they were before.
I think it will be the same way. That Century Firearms AK will go down to $900.

It has the last half a dozen times, why not this time?

In 1993 you could buy a basic AR-15 for $650. In 1994 that same gun hit about $2500. Now in 2012 that $650 = ~$1050. So with inflation and increased costs that same AR should have cost well over $1000. So how come in the last couple years it has been possible to buy AR's for $700????? So in reality the $650 AR in 1993 cost about 40% more then one earlier this year but people still complain.........

Especially if anything over 10 rounds is banned. "Post Ban" AR's were had for $700 all day long.

like said above... it's happened over and over.
right now there are some excellent deals to be had on items people aren't freaking out about; think old, walnut and blue. even at the last few gun shows, i have friends that left with nice lever guns, bolt actions, even a couple semi autos that don't look all 'evil' and such.

Yes, they will go down again. I remember after the last scare the market was so flooded prices actually dropped below pre scare levels. The $900 AR pre-scare, that sold for $2,000 during scare, was available for $600 pretty regularly in the years after the scare. Supply and demand. The market is flooded with this stuff, so the supply is up. Once the demand drops, the prices will actually go down in general.

This is for firearms of course. Mags, will be slightly higher.

I know I tried to place an order for a gun and I was told some dealers at SHOT were taking orders but not quoting prices because they didn't know what the prices would be with the current climate. I got on the list for the gun I want but don't know if I will want it when it comes in if the price is inflated too much.

THE CURRENT NEW NORMAL will/shall also pass. The press and the political groups have help fuel this current ECONOMIC way in the firearms industry. Economics will win out and many who "had to have" or "horded" will fine that there investments many also devalue like real estate, cars, and others collectible items. Time must past, one must be alert, awake and alive.. Remember inflation devalues everyone $, and panic buying causes cyclically events like we are now experiencing.. Remember the gas lines of 1976?

I keep telling friends and family right now to wait on buying firearms, unless they manage to find a really good deal and the ammo to feed it.

My estimate has been 2 years on the long side for prices to return to normal and people to calm down. I've picked up a few Mags during panic as before I had 3 to my name, but I have yet to pay more then $1-2 more then I considered fair from pre-panic prices. I was working on stocking up when this hit, and see it more as a just in case thing. I was a firearms owner pre 2008 so once I saw where the election was going around September I stocked up on shells and reloading components to get me threw.I heard Obama mention assault weapons ban and to me the writing was on the wall of what was coming.

I look at this panic as my family did winter when growing up on a farm, stuff is scarce prices are higher, only had so much money to fill the pantry and the barn, but if you saw it coming you got prepared and if you didn't hopefully one of your neighbors stocked up on what your lacking and are looking fo what you have extra of. If your not starving you just got to wait tell the spring.

I could be wrong but I believe the non-prior gun owners who bought something they never thought they needed or wanted (ARs etc) will be the first to cave when the wave crests. When the wives start bubbleguming about something hubby bought (that they didn't agree with in the first place) it will go on the market and get sold, probably at a loss. Mark my word...

Will prices go back down? It depends: If manufacturers keep the pipe flowing slowly and everybody just keeps ordering massive amounts so everything backorders for 6 months, it'll take a long time. Ultimately people's pockets run dry, especially once obamacare kicks in hard and taxes healthcare contributions will make you pay an arm and a leg. Or an AR and a case of rounds. Maybe prices normalize. If people keep their money in their pockets long enough and ultimately decide "screw it, I'll buy it anyway", a new balance might be struck at a higher pricepoint.

I've been contemplating a revolver for some time. It appears the only mainstream caliber for which rounds are available is 44 mag (just rough check online). So should I go for a nice rifle then? 223 is out of the question these days and 308 seems similarly dry. 30-06 then or some hunting caliber? The only thing that's not sold out is 17hmr, but many ranges don't like it for some reason.

So I'm stuck. I "started" with guns earlier this year, but 9mm and 22LR are pretty much dead. I've got a little stash, but appleseeding and range time will deplete that. I'm not even looking for ammo anymore, just taking it easy for a month or two until things settle down a little.

I could be wrong but I believe the non-prior gun owners who bought something they never thought they needed or wanted (ARs etc) will be the first to cave when the wave crests. When the wives start bubbleguming about something hubby bought (that they didn't agree with in the first place) it will go on the market and get sold, probably at a loss. Mark my word...

I think you're wrong. I did not own anything until Obama got elected, and then decided that I needed some protection just in case. My original plan was to buy a pistol, shotgun, hunting rifle and carbine type rifle.
That plan was based on my logical preceived need. I still like that plan, but have gine beyond that.
I think you'll find that a percentage of the new owners will get hooked just like I did.
I have not sold a single thing I have bough - although there are a few items I will put on sale - stuff that I picked up at decent prices after the 2008 scare subsided. I don't need them, so might as well make room in the safe for something else.

The prices will go down, like they always do. Maybe not all the way to the pre-panic prices, it will depend on the economy overall but close enough. The time to buy is in the next year or two when the "investors" realize they made bad decisions and put their ill-gotten gains up for sale. Supply and demand takes over for awhile and THAT is when you stock up on the goodies. Patience will be rewarded for those who wait ...

Edit: When the threat of another AWB passes the "good time to buy" may come a lot sooner as back orders are canceled enmass, inventories skyrocket and dreams of ill gotten gains quickly evaporate....

I find the dynamics interesting. Its certainly recurrent:

Some proposed or even just imagined restriction may or may not be discussed. The gun community rants about the boogie man. Politicians rant to get votes. The NRA beats it's chest. Buyers panic and race out to shop, sellers jack their prices through the roof. Manufacturers and importers DOUBLE their prices. Then....nothing happens and the self created damage is done.

Clearly importers, manufacturers and shop owners are nobodys friend. They are businessmen who milk consumer fears in order to goudge them. A low end AK or m15 doubles from $499 in november to $989 in March.

No politician did that. People who import, manufacture and trade in guns did it. We did it to ourselves when we said "wow look at the prices! Im selling mine for double what I paid!"

Why should politicians restrict guns when we do it for them by cutting each others, and our own, throats?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top