JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You can't really make any statement about CA CCW that covers all of the state. Coastal cities and most of So Cal essentially will not issue to any normal citizen (unless you're a BIG political contributor). But the Northern and Eastern counties are much more CCW friendly.

My county is 'almost' a shall issue .. I say almost, only because they can't call it that, but unless you're not a 'prohibited person' or act like an idiot they'll issue to you. I've had mine for 3 years. Someone mentioned Sacramento county and they're flooded with applications now. It's not hard to get, but is a very long process. A friend of mine recently got hers and it took about 6 months and that's very quick compared to others.

It appears that the original Sac Bee article about the fed investigation in to the Sac county sheriff issuing permits for campaign contributions is now archived and not easily searchable. I recall reading it when it was printed. I did find this link where the article is quoted pretty much in full. FBI reportedly probes gun permits [Archive] - Calguns.net

At one time there was a police chief in rural Sacramento county that would issue permits provided you lived in the county and traveled to his town (Isleton iirc) but once he retired it was near impossible to get a permit. I have a friend who did get a permit after having his attorney contact the sheriff's office. He was granted a permit on the grounds of his business being in a gang infested part of south sac and having to make large cash deposits (again, only after his attorney contacted them would they even give him an application). When he was moving someone stole his G26, presumably one of the movers, and after reporting it stolen they wouldn't renew his permit.

Not something I'd expect from the 9th, but good news. I give it an 80% chance of going to the Supreme Court, in which case you'll see the answer to "When is the SAF or NRA-ILA going to do something about California?"

John Stossel did one of his investigative shows on this. He tried to get a ccw in california. Since he often plays devil's advocate on his shows he gets his share of death threats, like most in the media probably do. He used this plus his high profile as a quasi celebrity to justify his need for a concealed weapon. This was all done on the show.

Long story short? It took eight months for them to basically tell him "no". Someone he interviewed on the show told him he was going about it all wrong. The way to get a permit in California is to A) be rich, famous, or both B) cozy up to a state senator or someone with pull
C) donate to their campaign and mention how you would feel safer with a carry permit.

That's all it takes! Easy-peasy.

I did not do any of those foolish things. I applied once and have had my CCW for 12 years now.
It never amazes me the things people like to believe and promote as fact.
You live in Northern CA. I understand it is a little more 2A friendly there than in the major population centers, where Stossel probably tried to get his license. L.A., Sacramento, the bay area, Fresno are nearly impossible to get permits from what I understand.

The last ccw permit in la county was issued in 1992. It was the owner of a watch repair store that had been shot four times by a gang trying to rob him. Well, at least the first one was robbery, after that revenge cause he shot the first robber. He ended up killing four or five gang members and almost died once. He had to close up shop and move his business to the internet.

Socal is a different place than northern California

Great news, regarding the 9th Court's decision. However, I have a feeling that those in power in California will do whatever they can to thumb their noses at the verdict, for as long as possible, just like Chicago and Washington DC have done.
Gun control advocates do not care about the 2nd Amendment and what is legal; only about their fear of an armed citizenry and wish for us to be under their control.

Well, when their economic bubble bursts and the people that voted in/allow this mess find that they can't sell a nicely cooked rat on the street corner without $15,000 in fees, inspections and permits, they might vote differently next time.
we can only hope

Great news, regarding the 9th Court's decision. However, I have a feeling that those in power in California will do whatever they can to thumb their noses at the verdict, for as long as possible, just like Chicago and Washington DC have done.
Gun control advocates do not care about the 2nd Amendment and what is legal; only about their fear of an armed citizenry and wish for us to be under their control.

They really stepped in it when they outlawed what the locals call "sterile carry". By eliminating the last means of bearing arms available to the common man, they have guaranteed that they will eventually be found in violation of the Second Amendment. This decision by the 9th has moved the process to the next stage.

From the various laws and decisions it really comes down to this. They either need to allow open carry or be a shall issue concealed carry state. Several decisions recently have essentially established that some means of carry must be allowed even in public. This just adds one more of those decisions to the list.

From the various laws and decisions it really comes down to this. They either need to allow open carry or be a shall issue concealed carry state. Several decisions recently have essentially established that some means of carry must be allowed even in public. This just adds one more of those decisions to the list.

I thought I just said that. :p :s0114:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads